For the frustrated!!!

For the frustrated!!!

stevenalex

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 - 258 cu inline 6, T-18 trans 5 spd,
'10 Wrangler V6
Okay, now we have run into new issues!!! As last posted we completed the transfer case rebuild and reassembled the tranny and tcase back under the vehicle. We replaced the ujoints and all the other basic step by step things, new starter etc. We thought that the battery had died out so we went and bought a new one, an optima at that. Now this PITA when we go to crank her over spits out fireballs out the carberator and then spits out fuel. So can someone riddle me this, I realize that I probably need to buy a new carberator, new fuel regulator, new lines, and probably a new fuel pump. I started to price out a new carb kit, ranging from 250-700, going high end for getting a two barrel. Now my question is, is there something that I may be overlooking? I will take a pic of the old carb, but it appears that the previous owner basically threw his scraps together and pieced together a carb. I am in no means mechanically sound, but this thing is freakish looking. I thought maybe I could rebuild it and save a few bucks, but I don't think it is practical to do with its condition. When I went to start her she almost started and then spit out a small fireball and ended with a few spit spats out the carb. I'm thinking all the above need to be replaced. A few ideas please:confused:

~~~ Now this PITA when we go to crank her over spits out fireballs out the carberator and then spits out fuel. So can someone riddle me this, I realize that I probably need to buy a new carberator, new fuel regulator, new lines, and probably a new fuel pump. ~~~ Now my question is, is there something that I may be overlooking? ~~~
Under almost NO conditions with a fubarred carb / fuel pump / fuel system will an engine exhibit this condition (unless an exorbitant amount of fuel is being dumped into the intake) ... They either usually run correctly or just don't run right.

It really sounds like your timing is out 180 degrees or at least avery log way. A back fire or fire ball is normally associated to bad timing.

Did the CJ run before? Has ANYTHING in the ignition system been worked on?

The only thing we have done is changed spark plugs. She ran fine before we did the undercarriage work. When I pump the pedal while trying to crank her she'll turn over but won't start. I thought the timing would be off too, took out the handy dandy manual and went step by step on the distributor and firing lines. Everything is matched correctly, so i'm stumped:confused:

It seems every time we fix one endeavor another arises. I knew this could be possible, one for her being an older model, and two for sitting for so many years, but I didn't imagine that we would be either replacing or rebuilding everything on her. My wife jokes around with me and says the jeep is just like her, very moody:)

And the other thing that makes me very curious is about the carb spitting stuff out, what is that from? The only thing we added was a little bit of carb cleaner, like a quick spray at that

It seems every time we fix one endeavor another arises. I knew this could be possible, one for her being an older model, and two for sitting for so many years, but I didn't imagine that we would be either replacing or rebuilding everything on her. My wife jokes around with me and says the jeep is just like her, very moody:)

Welcome to the jeep world :chug:
If its backfiring through the carb it's usually the timing:biggun:

Check firing order may have put them back on at a 180, if not then check for dist to be out 180 though I doubt it if you did not remove it (distributor). nicejeep was kind enough to post the firing order :cool:.

The only thing we have done is changed spark plugs. She ran fine before we did the undercarriage work. When I pump the pedal while trying to crank her she'll turn over but won't start. I thought the timing would be off too, took out the handy dandy manual and went step by step on the distributor and firing lines. Everything is matched correctly, so i'm stumped:confused:

Go back and check your firing order again. I crossed two plug wires on my AMC 304 , she would not start and it popped back through the carb. As a matter of fact it blew my air filter up.

So throughout the week I started to think about 'ol Christine.....seeing that she is over 30 years old and every time we fix one issue another arises, is it best to just start from scratch and replace majority of the components, such as the alternator, distributor, fuel regulator, fuel pump and any other end components that may need to be replaced. I began to think about this throughout the week and seemed to think that because she hasn't had much attention over the years maybe some complete TLC would be in order. I know that it will be pricey but long term will it be effective?

are you sure the previous owner or shoty mechanic didn't put the dist. in 180 off,and then put the wires on in the correct order, BUT 180 out to match his stupidity. Crank the motor over to top dead center on the balancer by hand then pull your dist cap to see if the rotor lines up with the #1 spark plug wire

Well the vehicle did start before we did work on the tranny and transfer case. The only thing done was the spark plugs were replaced but nothing else was done. So I don't think the distributor is too jacked up. The only other thing I can think of is that she is very moody and tempermental:mad: cuz she really isn't liking me lately. I am going to play with the firing order again tomorrow and hopefully I can get her to start.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks