Ford 302 Cobra, Can I?

Ford 302 Cobra, Can I?

EAGLE7JM

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 AMC 304 V8 all stock :(
Well the AMC 304 has thrown a rod and I can't find parts to rebuild. This brings me to the question, Can I put a ford 5.0 302 Cobra engine in my 78 CJ7 ? I have come to understand that the CJ is basically a AMC and Ford mutt anyway, so I want to know if there are any major blockaids that will not alow this conversion?

Let me clarify my parts statement, I can't find a crankshaft. Also I have a GM Turbo 400 tranny.

Last edited:
Can't find the parts? why not? The AMCs may not be the most popular engine out there, but parts are readily available. Search Bulltear.com - Home for performance and rebuild stuff.
Or find a Wagoneer 360 to basically drop in place of the AMC 304 . More cubes=more fun.
But if you really wanna drop in the 302 (a fine engine BTW) look at
AdvanceAdapters.com | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters or Novak Jeep Conversions - Home and search the knowledge base for your particular info.

Putting a Ford engine into a CJ from the late '70s shouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure what tranny you have but the engine shouldn't need an adapter to mate to your tranny. You may have to drill bolt holes in the bell housing for the Transmission to mate up. I have mated a ford T-18 to a CJ strait 6 and only had to drill mounting holes. The TCase was another issue but you don't have to worry about that.
Your radiator can already handle a V8.
The Ford 302 oil pan came in 2 styles. The Cobra 302 may have clearance problems with the front axle if you don't have a fair amount of lift (and bump-stops to match). The Bronco with a 302 had an odd oil pan with 2 sumps: one in back and a small oil sump in the front of the oil pan. You may have to change the oil pan. This will also entail replacing the oil pump or at least it's pickup assembly.
Otherwise I like the idea of a ford V8 in a CJ. With the distributor in the front you don't have the clearance issues with the firewall.

you can put anything in a jeep as long you have all the right parts and adapters and motor mounts novak has alot of parts for this swap

As MyLittle posted - AMC 304 parts are a dime a dozen - easy to find.

IMHO - buy a 360 or a 401 (if your willing to part with the cash) and it will drop right in. Yea Haw! :)

Don't do it. It can be done but you'll spend a lot of money doing it and have a lot of headaches as well.

The best advice, as given in this thread, is to rebuild the AMC 304 and pump it up a little or find an AMC 360 and drop it in. The 360 swap is a direct drop in, literally. You shouldn't have any issues at all. As for parts, there are a bunch of places to find parts for an AMC 290, AMC 304 , 360, 401. Try P.A.W. (Performance Automotive Wholesale) and Summit Racing. They both sell complete rebuild kits as well as parts like the crankshaft. But your cheapest option would be to drop a 360 in your CH :)

Novak and AA make adapters for just about anything to be put in your jeep, it is just how much do you want to spend.
I tend to agree with the "why cant you find parts for that jeep engine" question as they should be easy to find. And a AMC 304 is a great engine for a jeep, power is where you need it. Personally i would keep it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom