Ford 9"

Ford 9"

jwill22

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
so here i go again weighing out my options about axles. i posted yesterday about the d35, now i want to ask about the ford 9" how much change would i have to do to my rig from swapping the 20 to the ford9?
Early Bronco 66-77 Ford Bronco Parts 4x4
theres a post of a guy selling one here in my hometown for 125, is that a reasonable price? thanks again for all the help.

so here i go again weighing out my options about axles. i posted yesterday about the d35, now i want to ask about the ford 9" how much change would i have to do to my rig from swapping the 20 to the ford9?
Early Bronco 66-77 Ford Bronco Parts 4x4
theres a post of a guy selling one here in my hometown for 125, is that a reasonable price? thanks again for all the help.

What I like about the Ford 9", it's kinda like a Quick change rear.
You can have 2 center chunks set up with different gear ratios & easily swap them back & forth depending on need.

When I was young & drag raced a lot that's what I did anyway.;)

What I like about the Ford 9", it's kinda like a Quick change rear.
You can have 2 center chunks set up with different gear ratios & easily swap them back & forth depending on need.

When I was young & drag raced a lot that's what I did anyway.;)

X2 the Ford 9 is the most intelegent axle design there is. I have never really understood why every axle is not of the basic design.:confused:

yep good strong axle, go for it. it wouldn't take much to get it under the jeep depending on the width, if it is i'd have it cut down to the jeep axle width, then you have to set your pinion angle, weld on new perches, bolt it up, connect brake lines to it, and figure out your driveshaft situation, you might get away with a conversion u-joint. then again you might want it full width i don't know. i have a question how big of a tire are you wanting to run?

yep good strong axle, go for it. it wouldn't take much to get it under the jeep depending on the width, if it is i'd have it cut down to the jeep axle width, then you have to set your pinion angle, weld on new perches, bolt it up, connect brake lines to it, and figure out your driveshaft situation, you might get away with a conversion u-joint. then again you might want it full width i don't know. i have a question how big of a tire are you wanting to run?

x2 on this. The only other choice you have is high or low pinion. There are plenty of company's who make third members for these that they will ship fully set up.

Right now im running 33s, the biggest that ill go for quite a while will probably be 35s and thats it. At least for now until i get really into rock krawling. for now my rig is a daily driver and off road vehicle on weekends. ha.

No other axle has the support of the nine inch

The 9" is a very good axle but they made millions of them so they are cheap also. $125-AMC 150 is the average price around here for a compleat stock axle assy.
Great axle for an upgrade, but you might need to narrow it.

Back in the '80 the 9 inch ford was considered the ultimate axle. It was the most popular swap. Now custom Dana 60s are popular but I still think the 9 inch is more than strong enough, even with larger tires.
The 9 inch is stronger than other axles of the same size because it has a bearing at the tip of the pinion gear. Keeping the pinion gear perfectly meshed with the ring gear is the key to the strength of both gears.
The 9 inch ford is on the left.
p5452_image_large.jpg

Also as LongHorn pointed out it's also easy to work on since it has a removable 3rd member. If you don't do your own ring and pinion work you can swap out the third member and let a shop do the hard work.

And if you do your own you can set the damned thing on a bench at a good work height rather than under the rig or on the floor.:cool:

Back in the '80 the 9 inch ford was considered the ultimate axle. It was the most popular swap. Now custom Dana 60s are popular but I still think the 9 inch is more than strong enough, even with larger tires.
The 9 inch is stronger than other axles of the same size because it has a bearing at the tip of the pinion gear. Keeping the pinion gear perfectly meshed with the ring gear is the key to the strength of both gears.
The 9 inch ford is on the left.
p5452_image_large.jpg

Also as LongHorn pointed out it's also easy to work on since it has a removable 3rd member. If you don't do your own ring and pinion work you can swap out the third member and let a shop do the hard work.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom