derekcj5

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 AMC304 T150 Dana 30/Aussie Locker Model 20/Trac Lock

1941 Willy's MB
Hey guys,
My buddy just got his first cj, and were trying to figure out what kind of Transmission he has... Little info that I know: it's behind a 351w, it's a 3 speed ( not sure if it's Overdrive or not) and it's backed by a Dana 18. It has 14 pan bolts and a removable bellhousing. It has: pdba 024019 stamped on a tag on the drivers side. It has: q1 8f-7 stamped on the pass side. Any ideas? I'm think cruiseomatic, mx, fmx... Etc. But unsure exactly which it is...

Hey guys,
My buddy just got his first cj, and were trying to figure out what kind of Transmission he has... Little info that I know: it's behind a 351w, it's a 3 speed ( not sure if it's Overdrive or not) and it's backed by a Dana 18. It has 14 pan bolts and a removable bellhousing. It has: pdba 024019 stamped on a tag on the drivers side. It has: q1 8f-7 stamped on the pass side. Any ideas? I'm think cruiseomatic, mx, fmx... Etc. But unsure exactly which it is...

Sounds like the FMX, is it a steel body, with a aluminum bell housing ?

Thanks but still uncertain... I will post pics later today... Upon further inspection, what I thought was a Dana 18 may not be. It has passenger side output for both front and rear drivelines, which led me to believe it is an 18. but is a single stick shifter. Is this still an 18?

Thanks but still uncertain... I will post pics later today... Upon further inspection, what I thought was a Dana 18 may not be. It has passenger side output for both front and rear drivelines, which led me to believe it is an 18. but is a single stick shifter. Is this still an 18?

What are you uncertain about ? If it has a steel body, or it being an FMX. Per your descrtiption, the only Transmission that fits is the FMX.

Sounds like a QuadraTrac T/C if its right hand out for the rear drive shaft. You also did not tell us what year Cj they started out with ?

Sorry bout that... It's a 1967 CJ5 . The xfer case is a Dana. I meant I'm uncertain if it's an fmx for sure. Reason we need to know is were trying to find a gasket set so we can overhaul it it's leaking like a tin roof

pics as promised...

oh, and you gotta love the permatex on the OUTSIDE of the gasket seals

Dont know about the Transfer Case , thats before my time (I only play with 76 and newer), as far as the Transmission , from what I can make out, Id say FMX. If you take the pan gasket it with you, most part stores have a poster for Id-ing the Transmission by the pan shape and the number of bolts. Put the filter in a zip-loc freezer bag and take it with you to the store.

alright well i suppose thats what well end up doin then... thanks for your help busted. anybody else have a guess on the XFER case??

looks to be a Dana 18-

Bushdana_18_transfer_case.jpg

you see, i thought so too, but was unaware of a single stick configuration, which is what the jeep in question has

Go to Novak conversions knowledge base, the history of the D-18, it was offered in both single and twin stick configurations.

Bush

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom