Ford T-18 to Jeep swap

Ford T-18 to Jeep swap

Buuushman

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77' CJ-5, 360 c.i. motor, T-176 trans, D-300 transfer case w\ twin sticks, Dana 30 front, A.M.C. 20 rear w/ 4.10's, solid axles & trac-lok, 2.5" lift Y.J. springs.
I just found a guy about 10 minutes away from me with a 79' CJ7 with a ford 302 and T-18 Transmission and he is willing to part with the tranny for cheap. How hard is it to stick this thing between my AMC 304 and Dana 20 ?. I am going to look at it this afternoon and he had it listed for $300 but I can most likely get it for less. Are we just talking adapters or could it be a direct swap?

Any info is appreciated.

Bushman

You will need this adapter -->> Adapting the T18 / T19 Transmissions to the Dana 18 & 20 Transfer Cases

And a different bellhousing, throw out rod and bearing. Depending on the clutch you have - you may have to change it. You will also need new drive shafts - and since it's a CJ5 - you really should go for a CV in the rear.

I bought a T-18 for my 72 CJ5 and I had to purchase all the 'accessories' for the swap.

PS - You will also need to modify your Transmission cover and change boots... :)

This is a pretty good write up. Happy reading. Not a direct swap. Adapters and a new shaft needed.

Ford T-18 swap into a CJ

I just found a guy about 10 minutes away from me with a 79' CJ7 with a ford 302 and T-18 Transmission and he is willing to part with the tranny for cheap. How hard is it to stick this thing between my AMC 304 and Dana 20 ?. I am going to look at it this afternoon and he had it listed for $300 but I can most likely get it for less. Are we just talking adapters or could it be a direct swap?

Any info is appreciated.

Bushman

I talked to tech at novak and they said that engine to Transmission was a direct bolt up for my year but the adapter and new output shaft to mate the ford unit to my Dana 20 was $520 bucks. That may be a deal breaker. Factoring in a new driveshaft, my 4 month old daughter, and the Transmission I may just wait to find a jeep unit. Darn

Jeep units are very hard to find... :)

Did you tell them you had a V8 or an I6? The I6 bellhousing is a direct swap - the V8 is not...

You will need this adapter -->> Adapting the T18 / T19 Transmissions to the Dana 18 & 20 Transfer Cases

And a different bellhousing, throw out rod and bearing. Depending on the clutch you have - you may have to change it. You will also need new drive shafts - and since it's a CJ5 - you really should go for a CV in the rear.

I bought a T-18 for my 72 CJ5 and I had to purchase all the 'accessories' for the swap.

PS - You will also need to modify your Transmission cover and change boots... :)

^^^^

Pretty much sums it up. What xfer case was the tranny mated to? If it was another 20 buy em both, then you have an adapter and spare xfer case parts You would be money ahead than buying the adapter new.

If you get a good deal on it buy it and wait, something will pop up. They just never pop up at the same time. If you find a Jeep one while sitting on the Ford one, sell the Ford one.

:chug:

I told them it was a AMC 304 and on Novak's website it said the T-150 and ford T-18 bellhousing bolt pattern and input shaft were the same and the tranny would bolt right up, maybe I missed something. The other jeep may have the adapter for the Transfer Case already(I hope) if it is not running a full ford driveline. I most likely will pick it up anyway if the price is right and sit on it till I can get the rest figured out.

Thanks,

Bushman

I told them it was a AMC 304 and on Novak's website it said the T-150 and ford T-18 bellhousing bolt pattern and input shaft were the same and the tranny would bolt right up, maybe I missed something. The other jeep may have the adapter for the Transfer Case already(I hope) if it is not running a full ford driveline. I most likely will pick it up anyway if the price is right and sit on it till I can get the rest figured out.

Thanks,

Bushman
Interesting - everything I know says you have to swap bellhousings... But - they are cheap and plentiful...

As for the other CJ - it is a 302 right? If it's already in a CJ - it should be a relatively easy bolt in! :notworthy:

Ya, the guy wants another $300 for the H.O. 302, and that would get me basically down to driveshafts and motor mounts- his is a CJ7 and mine is a 5. I just don't know if I can handle a ford motor in my Jeep:(. Gotta do some thinkin.

Ya, the guy wants another $300 for the H.O. 302, and that would get me basically down to driveshafts and motor mounts- his is a CJ7 and mine is a 5. I just don't know if I can handle a ford motor in my Jeep:(. Gotta do some thinkin.
What I meant is that if he is running gear that works in his CJ - it should work in yours... But! You have a CJ5 (not a 7) - you will most definitely need to change shafts - again - a CV rear shaft is recommended... :)

What I meant is that if he is running gear that works in his CJ - it should work in yours... But! You have a CJ5 (not a 7) - you will most definitely need to change shafts - again - a CV rear shaft is recommended... :)
This is one of the hidden cost of all mods, besides just the tranny adaptability to both engine and t case, there are so many other factors to consider, location and how they change drivrshaft lengths are so inportant and often just overlooked when the expense is looked at. However one trip off road could gernade shafts or leave a shaft damgling.
Research is the key, and in that lengths ca be just as important as adaptability when final cost comes into question. I have seen several guys buy ex project jeeps that cost them a lot of money finishing out projects the PO never addressed.

This is one of the hidden cost of all mods, besides just the tranny adaptability to both engine and t case, there are so many other factors to consider, location and how they change drivrshaft lengths are so inportant and often just overlooked when the expense is looked at. However one trip off road could gernade shafts or leave a shaft damgling.
Research is the key, and in that lengths ca be just as important as adaptability when final cost comes into question. I have seen several guys buy ex project jeeps that cost them a lot of money finishing out projects the PO never addressed.

X2 on that.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom