Front Diff Automatic Locker: Opinions Wanted

Dolamite

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Jeep CJ5
258 I6
3.54 gears
AMC 20 Rear Diff (1 piece Axles w/Lokka)
Dana 30 Front Diff w/Lokka
Tremec T-176 4 speed Trans
Dana 300 transfer Case w/Twinstick
I figured it was time to get rid of my 3.08 gear ratio, so I decided to do an axle swap to some axles with a 3.54 gears.

I had already upgraded my AMC20 rear axle with a Lokka automatic locking differential with 1 piece axle shafts, so I took the "good" stuff out of my current 3.08 setup and put them in the 3.54 AMC20 axle.

I'm in the process of changing all of the ball joints, u-joints, bearings, and seals in the Dana 30 front axle and I keep staring at the open diff spider gears. It seems like an absolute shame to go through all of the work of tearing the axle down and then putting it back together with an open diff. My suspension is kind of stiff, so it is not uncommon for one of my front tires to be slightly lifted in rough terrain, which basically eliminates the effectiveness of my 4 wheel drive in an open differential set-up.

IDEALLY, I would like to go to an OX mechanical selectable locker but these are kind of pricey and I don't feel like going through the hassle of pulling out the ring and pinion at this stage (I'm getting really tired of working on axles).

I'm really happy with my Lokka automatic locking differential in the rear, but I have reservations about putting one in the front due to the fact that I have read they adversely affect steering when the hubs are locked and the vehicle is in 4-wheel drive. They sure are a cost effective upgrade, however.

My brother has a locker in the front of his CJ (which I believe is also an auto locking type, although I can't verify that it is installed properly) and he complains about not being able to steer in 4 wheel drive all of the time.

Do any of you fine gentlemen run an auto locker in the front of your rigs, and if so do the positives outweigh the negatives. In other words, if you installed an auto-locker in the front have you considered removing it?

I'd say 60% of my driving is on road, 30% is soft trail riding in 2wd, and 10% is hard mudding in rough terrain (stumps, hummocks, downed trees, etc.) I typically do not drive it in the winter, but wouldn't rule out putting a plow on it in the future.

I sure appreciate any experience that you fellow Jeepers may have! :chug:

I know what you mean about not wanting to work on your axles anymore, but one truth is that it gets easier. Not long ago I did something similar to what you are doing. First I started haunting Craigslist. It didn't take long to find what I wanted for the rear ... an E-locker new in the box for 1/2 the cost of new.

With that in hand I continues and VERY shortly later a Truetrac locker showed up on Craigslist. I snatched it up, the deal wasn't as good, but for less than the new price of the Eaton E-locker I had both front and rear in hand. The Truetrac is a mechanical (no clutch plates) Limited slip. I really like this thing. Put it in 4wd and the thing just flat GOES without interfering with the way your CJ drives or feels. Honestly this thing preforms well enough that I'd put one in the rear as well. Traveling was necessary for both, about 100 miles for each, but the savings were worth it.

Some 24+ years ago, I put front and rear Detroit Lockers in my '7'.
Some of the BEST $$$$ I have put into it. :driving:
I do play in the rocks a good bit. :D
LG

I have an ARB in the front of mine and on a few occasions it has worked to an advantage. On a few trips to the slickrock around Moab, Utah for example, it was extremely helpful, where the guys I was with had to disconnect their locked front axles to turn on that stuff. Bottom line it really doesn't matter in the long run which way you go, but I have seen unlocked front ends break u-joints more often than a locked axle. After 20+ years of off road trails the high price is long forgotten anyway.

If you are leaning toward a full locker you might as well drop in a lunch box locker of some sort.

I've got an Aussie in my 30 and it's been great. I drive new end land Rock, root, mud. I store mine in the winter-driving in the road would be trick but plowing a driveway would be fine. It's nice to have a little slip via the ratcheting system.

Wooly

We have Eaton E lockers front and rear. Pricey, yes, but when we need to be locked in it is as simple as a flip of a switch. When we don't need it, flip the switch off and disengagement is instantaneous. Unlocked they are smooth as silk.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I really appreciate it.

Just got off of the phone with my brother. As I suspected, he told me that as bad as the steering is with his front end locked he would never go back to an open differential.

Would sure love to get a selectable locker, but since my wife and I just built a house and we are on a budget I'll have to settle for the more cost effective automatic locking differential.

Have a good one guys!

I have a Lockrite (lunchbox type) locker up front and love it. It is a tad more difficult to steer, mostly because its trying to return to center, but not bad either. Strongly recommend one!

Thanks for the opinions guys. I really appreciate it.

Just got off of the phone with my brother. As I suspected, he told me that as bad as the steering is with his front end locked he would never go back to an open differential.

Would sure love to get a selectable locker, but since my wife and I just built a house and we are on a budget I'll have to settle for the more cost effective automatic locking differential.

Have a good one guys!

I have no steering issues with mine. :confused:
Tell your brother to make sure his tire PSI is the same on the 2 front tires and the same goes for the rear.
BTW: The 'lunch-box' and Detroit's only 'lock' when under powder. ;)
LG

Lumpy - One thing to consider. We drive on fairly hard ground. Some folks in woods country have a fairly soft surface where it might be easier for the tires to skid along rather than bite like we are accustomed to.

Lumpy - One thing to consider. We drive on fairly hard ground. Some folks in woods country have a fairly soft surface where it might be easier for the tires to skid along rather than bite like we are accustomed to.

Lots of soft stuff here in the Mojave, along with 'hardpan'. Still, see no real issue with a front 'real' locking diff. :confused: I never felt any steering difference with the DL, from when I had a 'shimmed-up' Powder Lock LSD in the front.
My 1T, C'cab 4X4 dually has front and rear Power Lock LSD and I say the same thing here too.
Respectfully,
LG

I put a Spartan locker in the front axle and went to the Alpine loop for a week. I rubbed all the vinyl off the steering wheel cover and was sore and tired every night. Switch backs were an memorable experience and incredible upper body exercise.
kind of subtle but this is before and after and there were calluses.
dscn2607.jpg

img_0512.jpg

That said, Having both ends locked works very very well and I recommend it. I also recommend power steering very very much.

I have no steering issues with mine. :confused:
Tell your brother to make sure his tire PSI is the same on the 2 front tires and the same goes for the rear.
BTW: The 'lunch-box' and Detroit's only 'lock' when under powder. ;)
LG

I have a feeling that his front end may not be unlocking. I've asked him to jack up the front end and wedge one tire so it can't spin and then spin the opposite tire by hand. He should here the ratcheting.

Sometimes, to release the ratchets you have to jerk the wheel a bit from right to left.
LG

I have a Lockrite (lunchbox type) locker up front and love it. It is a tad more difficult to steer, mostly because its trying to return to center, but not bad either. Strongly recommend one!
Same here.

Just to close the loop on this, I installed a Lokka locker in the front and have had no major steering issues. As expected, with the hubs locked and the transfer case in 4wd it is slightly harder to steer. I was pleasantly surprised to see that with the hubs locked and the transfer case in 2wd the steering was barely affected at all.

Once again, thanks for all of the opinions!

Thank you for closing the loop on this one. Lots of folks ask the very same question. As you run the locker drop in from time to time and let us know how things are going, especially noting expected and unexpected gains and problems you encounter.

Last edited:
thank you for closing the loop on this one. Lots of folks ask the very same question. As you run the locker drop in from time to time and let us know how things are going, especially noting expected and unexpected gains and problems yo encounter.

10-4.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$35.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks