Front driveshaft?

Front driveshaft?

Cheepjeep85

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7, 258, t-176, D300, AMC20, D30
Gotta quick ? The front ds in my jeep has alotta play in it, there isn't any rotational play in it but if you grab it, it will move up and down, is there a bearing or seal of some sort that stops it from moving like that. Or is my driveshaft just shot.

Droooiiddd 2

Can you tell where the free play is? It's either the slip joint or a U Joint.
Sounding like the slip joint.

Its in the slip joint its got play in it up and down but no rotational play, I was looking on quadratec and there is an oil seal for it, but I didn't think it should move that much up and down at the joint, id say it moves as much as a 1/4".

Droooiiddd 2

That's how my front drive shaft was when I bought my CJ. A lot of slop in the slip joint but it wasn't rotational free play. The slip joint or the whole drive shaft needs to be replaced. Replacing the slip joint is a big part of the drive shaft. The yokes at the end can be reused. A shop can do it but get a quote first. This is where I got ripped off. A local shop charged me a lot more that a whole drive shaft cost.
I later got a Tom Wood's HD drive shaft for much less.

I looked up how much this cost me.
For $347 a local drive shaft shop replaced my slip joint and I reused my U-Joints to reinstall my drive shaft.
Later I got a whole new front drive shaft from Tom Woods for $224. It was much more heavy duty than OEM and it came with HD u-joints.
Because of my shackle reversal I needed more travel in my slip joint so I sent my drive shaft back to Tom Woods. He replaced the slip joint with a long travel slip joint for $105. That's the same job that I paid $347 for a local shop to do.
I now go to Tom Wood anytime I need drive shaft work. Much better quality at a much lower price. And excellent service to boot. I got several phone calls from Tom Wood and his technician to make sure my drive shaft would be correct. :D

Ok thanks busa, ill call the local guy tomorow he's pretty good, and resonable, I'm gettin ready to replace the ujoints in the front axle so it'll be a good time to have it out. Speaking of which, is the right side u joint replaceable or do you have to buy the whole right side axle assembly? I've never pulled one that far apart, only ever done brakes and wheel bearings on the front.

Droooiiddd 2

is the right side u joint replaceable or do you have to buy the whole right side axle assembly?
Yes you can replace the axle ujoint separately. It's kinda like drive shaft u-joints except they are held in place by a C clip at the inside of the u-joint instead of a clip on the end of the cap.
:chug:
898D059.jpg

Thanks man, I thought you could, but if you search all you find is a u joint for the left side, but everybody only sells the right side as an assembly the stub shafts and ujoints all together. But I figured that short side u joint had to be servicable, I mean whose gonna pay that much every time a u joint wears out.

Droooiiddd 2

Ok thanks for all the help guys, probably gonna do it this weekend. Annual ringgold offroad/ ringgold chrysler dodge jeep jam is sept 11 up on aetna mtn trying to make sure there isn't any failures before I go.

We went riding up there yesterday the jeep done good but it was also dry as hell. id hate to break down in a line of jeeps on a trail.

Droooiiddd 2

I agree with BusaDave9, Tom Woods is the place to go for driveshafts. I tried Drivetrain Specialties here in Colorado. All they would do is stock setup, not what I needed for lift and tranny replacement and shackle reversal.

Say yours is a little sloppy too there olddog

Droooiiddd 2

about like an old whore on sunday morning :laugh:
I'm hoping it will last for a little while longer till I can get a new one.:rolleyes:

Cheep, did you get your drive shaft taken care of?
Just checking in.
:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom