Front tires won't grab

Front tires won't grab

slans31

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
All ford, except my 1978 CJ5 (well it has some Ford in it), 304ci, Holley carb, Quiet exhaust (sleeper), Dana C300-15-2 Transfercase, 4 speed manual trans (C-2604203), new tires, wheels, cooling system, shocks, lock-outs, etc. Nothing fancy, I like stock and clean.
Hello everyone. Pretty new here and have found a lot of great info so far. I am having a problem with my 78 CJ5 . My Transfer Case engauges, front shaft turns, but no power to the tires? I was thinking bad lock out's?

Since we got some snow here I had a friend look at the front end as I went up a small snow bank. I did t in 2 high, then 4 high/low. The front drive shaft worked while engauged, but did not spin when in 2 high. So the Transfer Case seems to check out and apply power. The hubs will turn and appear to lock, but the front tires would not even attempt to grab or spin?!?!? Any info would be great. Thanks!!

Erich

I'll bet someone crammed a bunch of grease inside your hub :D

It sounds like your hub is not engaging (obviously). Could be a couple of reasons. broken spring, bad hub gears, or the ever popular: packed full of bearing grease.

The first step is to take the hub apart and look at it.

CJim7 is right. One of your hubs is not locking.
To find out what one is bad put it in 4WD, jack up one front tire. Lock both hubs and turn the tire that is raised. If you can turn the wheel that hub is bad. If it won't turn put the jeep back on the ground and try the same with the other tire. When you find the hub that wont lock take it apart to see what's wrong. The dial on the hub should slide a locking mechanism into the hub. If the hub needs to be replaced get a pair.

This is the best forum I have been on. You guys rock. I will try what you reccomend. I will post more pictures of my jeep as well as the one my dad used to race a Pismo Beach CA whan i was little. Getting this jeep really reminds me of my dad. Thanks again!

BTW - if you have too much grease or the wrong type, it can freeze and keep the hub(s) from engaging... :)

I'll bet someone crammed a bunch of grease inside your hub :D

It sounds like your hub is not engaging (obviously). Could be a couple of reasons. broken spring, bad hub gears, or the ever popular: packed full of bearing grease.

The first step is to take the hub apart and look at it.

BTW - if you have too much grease or the wrong type, it can freeze and keep the hub(s) from engaging... :)

...:D

Once again thanks! Wierd you said would freeze. The front end did freeze up the other morning. I had to go from 2 high back to 4 high to get it to release. :D diggin the info!!

Saw you were in TX. and we all know you have had a "little" weather lately... :)

my did that when i first got it. took the hubs off and had a different problem. mine where rusted all to hell. then i asked the inlaws some stuff about the jeep (thats who i got it from) and they told me it sat thru 3 floods from the stream that runs thru their land.

Yep, and we about to get some more. The best part is my 33 year old vehicle starts right up and gets me where I need to go! Even in 2 high...Thanks again for the info! :D

Wheel bearings should be packed but the hubs should be lubricated lightly.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom