fuel leaking

2lostspace

Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ-7
Engine 258
Transfer case dana 300
I took the CJ out today did some really mild trails with it. Headed up one of the trails the carbon canister started leaking fuel. Now all but one line has been disconnected to the thing. I belive that the line goes to the fuel tank.
It was about 75 out side and the engine temp was sitting at 195.
It is a 82 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

Is that the vent for the fuel tank and if it is what do I do to stop fuel from getting in to the canister? Where would I vent the line to elimiate the canister?

The canister is designed to allow the fuel vapors to be trapped and reburned (among other things) , it sounds like your charcoal is saturated with fuel. You say there is only one line hooked to it? It has to have a vent and fill or it doesn't work... :)

Can you pull it, dry it out (or change out the charcoal (requires minor surgery :)), then hook it up correctly or is the canister damaged?

The canister is designed to allow the fuel vapors to be trapped and reburned (among other things) , it sounds like your charcoal is saturated with fuel. You say there is only one line hooked to it? It has to have a vent and fill or it doesn't work... :)

Can you pull it, dry it out (or change out the charcoal (requires minor surgery :)), then hook it up correctly or is the canister damaged?

Do I really need the thing? Isn't this for emissions, did all CJ have these things? I think that the thing is done it is leaking from the bottom. I heard a pop sound that why I stopped and started to look at things.

You only need it for emission testing... I haven't seen one on my CJ for 20 years... BUT - Yo do nee to make sure your return lines are correct if you have FI - carbed.. not so much!

You only need it for emission testing... I haven't seen one on my CJ for 20 years... BUT - Yo do nee to make sure your return lines are correct if you have FI - carbed.. not so much!

It has a Weber on it (PO took out the original). If I take it out were do I vent the line coming from the fuel tank? If I need to keep it Do you think that the YJ canister will work on the thing?

It has a Weber on it (PO took out the original). If I take it out were do I vent the line coming from the fuel tank? If I need to keep it Do you think that the YJ canister will work on the thing?
Just vent right back into the tank (that is what I did) and do not run a pressure fuel cap. Anyone else do different? :confused:

CJ7 258: How do you fix the Charcoal Canister? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

From that link above:
I found a new canister for my '86 CJ7 . It's an AC Delco, part number AC2-215-12. Not sure what it is actually made for, but it is similar enough in size and shape to the original canister that I was able to slip it into the existing bracket and tighten it down. One caveat: it only has three ports--for the fuel line, the purge vacuum from the carb, and the manifold vacuum from the PCV valve. There is no carb bowl vacuum, so if you need that port it won't work. Since the Weber I have on the Jeep doesn't use the carb bowl vent, it worked perfectly for my application

Hay thanks for the Info guys I will have to take a look at it closer when I get back in town. I will do some more reading about it when I am gone.

On that link that you posted they were talking about a vent valve do you know where that is located??

I do the same thing CJ did. Scrap it out alltogether. It's pretty much a worthless POS at this point, and will do nothing but make you nuts. I just pooped mine rith back into the tank, and don't use a pressureized fuel cap so the system can vent out any pressure. Then unbolt the POS, and use it as target practice! I'm all good with "saving the planet" and all that, but you have to be realistic in practice. This type of early emisson contraption was, at BEST, a piece of :dung: that honestly never workd well....if at all. They fail at an alarming rate, cause your engine to run poorly, waste fuel, and emit higher emisson than if you were to just kill it. The same goes for the old temp vac valve on the block, the EGR valve, and the rest of the 200 miles of confusing vac hoses that crack, fail, and make your engine a poorly running mess.

Last edited:
Hay thanks for the Info guys I will have to take a look at it closer when I get back in town. I will do some more reading about it when I am gone.

On that link that you posted they were talking about a vent valve do you know where that is located??

A hydraulic vane pump = air opening is connected with the chambers that sweep past the pump outlet, the discharge opening of the valve goes or is connected to another channel (part of the pump) housing for fluid leaks. Dunno if that helps sorry can't explain it much wish I could show it but my camera was taken by the kids

I just put a vented cap on and plugged the line no leaks as of yet, I still need to remove the canister. With the vented cap will fuel leak out when you are at extream angles? I was watching a video on the web and the CJ had fuel coming out of the fuel cap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks