suburban99

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 304 V8
2011 Silverado 4x4
2004.5 Dodge Cummins Diesel
1997 Porsche Boxster
Got my AMC 304 project running...no rad or fenders on yet. My next question is how do you route the fuel lines from below the master cylinder where the steel lines end to the fuel pump and to the carb, then back to the return line? My 1980 has fenderwall headers...a picture would be good if possible. Thanks

Is your hardline already coming up from the drivers side? (You mentioned master cylinder)

You should be able to run a soft line (parts places carry fuel line) up to the pump...snake it along the frame until you clear the header and run it straight over to the pump.

If you are coming from the passengerside (as in a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l equiped CJ with a V8 swap), you will have to attach the soft line, run it up along the framerail to the crossmember (just behind the radiator), cross it over, and back down the other framerail until you get it adjacent to the pump...then plumb it in. This is how I did mine when I swapped in the 401.

The plumbing to the carb is the easy part...2 short lines with an inline filter inbetween them. Then you can run your fuel return line to the charcoal canister. Some inline filters have a splitter to allow a line to come off of that, although I've never used one.

I did this last Summer. I just routed the soft lines along the frame and away from the hot spots the best I could. Connecting to the fuel pump from underneath was a bit tricky, but not a big deal. Use quality clamps. Be sure the return line on the fuel filter is above the feed line.

Here is a picture of what I got..I bought as a project and did not know if the AMC 304 was any good...I had to complete the previous owners electrical and timed the dizzy and mounted the spark box in a fender hole for now. The fuel lines are hard until under the brake booster, then they go rubber. The previous owner had about a half mile of rubber tubing, and ran them up on the inner fender (i think)...I started the AMC 304 and it runs very well..(no radiator yet so shorttime only). I just don't know if I should modify the existing lines to go straight up the frame under the headers or run the fuel lines on the inner fender as they were.

Ok. This is what I would do. Run it on the inside (motorside) of the framerail, tight up against it, and then just cross it right over to the pump. If you are concerned about heat, you can use some shielding material around it, but I think you will be ok without it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom