Fuel problem?

Fuel problem?

JimyB

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
94 YJ bare bones stock.
Newest Addition 86 CJ7
I'm driving along and my CJ with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight six cuts out, then goes then cuts out and continues to do this till it either stalls right out or returns to normal. Only seems to happen when I accelerate high third or fourth. I ran it out of gas the other day so I'm thinking I stirred up the :dung: from the bottom of the tank. I've replaced the fuel filter but it's still doing it so this weekend I'm dropping the tank and cleaning it out, I'm also replacing the fuel pump.
Anyone else think that I'm on the right track or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Sounds like a good place to start.

Welcome Jimmy B to this site! Where you at, I am in Harrison Mills, I have an 85 CJ, which I am restoring. lol The people on here are very helpful.
Maybe we can get together and do some wheeling since we live close.

Cheers :chug:

Are we sure it's not missing the spark?
If it is a gas issue it is more likely to sputter.
If it is an ignition issue it is more like someone turns the key off and then back on.
If you think it is an ignition issue then check the ignition wires, especially the small wires to the coil.

I'll check the spark and wires today as well as the distributor. I'm going to do the fuel system too. It's the first day I've had since getting her that I've had to really spend time with her so I'm going to try and go over as much as I can. Appreciate the advice. It doesn't sputter when it cuts out so you've given me some direction. Thanx.

Jim

Welcome Jimmy B to this site! Where you at, I am in Harrison Mills, I have an 85 CJ, which I am restoring. lol The people on here are very helpful.
Maybe we can get together and do some wheeling since we live close.

Cheers :chug:
Brian? If not I have a buddy over in Harrison Mills that's restoring a CJ as well.

Friggin coil...:eek:...all fixed, now on to the next issue LOL. Thanx for the ideas and help guys.:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom