Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep CJ-7
4 speed, 258ci.
Pretty much stock.
Bought from the OG owner 100k miles
32X11.50-15 BFG ATs.
1966 Vw Beetle "Cal look"(o\!/o)
1963 logoed panel VW
2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner DC (Daily Driver)
I have an 84 and I cant get my lock nut to go on. I keep having probs with the tubes coming out of the unit and bending too soon.......(not being further away from the tank before bending) This is my 2nd brand of unit. First it was Spectra (BAD) from autozone then it was dorman (Better)from autozone...I do not know what to do! HELP!

Do I use the metal lock ring instead of the one that came on the jeep OE?
New

OE

Last edited:
is that a plastic 20 gallon tank you have?

It's the factory tank. Stamped made 5-84
It is plastic. It was full and I fulled 3 5gsl cans when I empied it.

Last edited:
from the looks of the picture in the Chiltons, this is the right tank. That is going to be a problem.:cool:

So IO you think I have the correct tank but I cant find the correct unit? I do not see how the tank could be wrong seeing how it matches the Jeep in every way and the tank has the date on it. (5-84) even has a part #. I will get that in the am,

I was tolf by the chat guy online @jc whitney that this is the one I need any advice?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacemen....jcwx?skuId=397694&filterid=c2070d1168y1984j1

I agree with CJ, But to be honest I have never seen one newer than an 80 model and they have all been metal. JMO!

All Jeep 72 - 86 factory tanks are metal --->>

8127698.jpg

Any poly tank is aftermarket. Can you snap a few more pictures so we may be able to narrow down the size an vendor?

If the guy at JCW told him it is right , I gotta know it is gospel!:laugh:

I am sorry mate, I just couldn't take the high road on that one.

I was going to say that CJ's didn't come with plastic tanks but my 81 J-10 has a plastic tank with the same threaded retainer as you have. I thought maybe it was possible.

one more item, JCW is notorious for sending the wrong thing. I know a guy that ordered a valve cover and got a windshield for a motorcycle. fortunately he had a motorcycle it would fit.:cool:

I have a 20 gallon plastic one in my 83 from the factory.I've owned it since new.Somewhere along the line it was a option or they changed.
Mike

Stamped into the tank is this.

Part #5361825
month/year 5-84
shift day 2/AMC 150
change letter S
source 1d155982
job# 8119
matl used PHILLPS-50-100
503 sublot

Maybe I need to fill it with water and see if it is a 20 gal.

Last edited:
Stamped into the tank is this.

Part #5361825
month/year 5-84
shift day 2/AMC 150
change letter S
source 1d155982
job# 8119
matl used PHILLPS-50-100
503 sublot

Maybe I need to fill it with water and see if it is a 20 gal.

Might be a good idea then you'll know what it holds.It looks like mine when i had mine out.I never took the sending unit out thou.Just straightened the skid plate and glad i had a plastic tank.

Did you have the two vents on top as well?

this looks like yours 82-86.:cool:

Did you have the two vents on top as well?
Yep yours should look close to this.
Found this message in another thread from a member.Of course no part number or what they bought.

BTW - if that's an OEM (optional) 20 gal (not the aftermarket one) - are you sure that you have the right pick-up / sending unit? When replacing the unit in my OEM tank, it took 3 tries before we got the right one for the OEM tank. Amazingly, THEY'RE still out there, but, a lot of parts places don't know the difference between the unit for the aftermarket & the unit for the OEM 20's (BTW - the OEM isn't 20, it's like ... 21 or 22).

Attachments

• CopyofCheckValveRouting.jpg
    CopyofCheckValveRouting.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,766
Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom