Gas Tank Question

Gas Tank Question

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
So the soon to be wife was kind enough to give me 40 bucks so i can go buy the fuel line i need for the gas tank along with gas, but i had a quick question that i need a quick answer to, the parts store closes in 2 hours.

My gas lines come down the drivers side of the frame and at the end of them they have about 6-9 inchs of fuel line on them, i believe one is 3/8 and the other is 5/16,(i already cut off sections to take them in)But I wanted to know if i could go with the smaller fuel line instead of having two different fuel lines(PO could have put different sizes or one could have gotten bigger due to the age), because the inlets on the gas tank are the same size and the fuel lines look the same also.

Basically looking for some input from anyone that knows the size of rubber fuel lines i may need from the fuel lines to the gas tank?

Oh ya IO while i was down there i decided to look at my Rollbar, its welded in there :wtf:?

Oh ya for you who dont know my CJ7 is a 1977,AMC 232 i6 I6,3 speed.

Last edited:
Well with a 1/16 difference it'd be hard to tell.
You have to stab a piece on and see which fits best, the roll with that.

Well with a 1/16 difference it'd be hard to tell.
You have to stab a piece on and see which fits best, the roll with that.

I'll probably get the smaller of the fuel lines and try that i have a feeling it will work but im only going to get 2 feet instead of 3 like i had planned before, do you think i should blow the lines out since they have had a mixture of new and old gas mixed in them?

So the soon to be wife was kind enough to give me 40 bucks so i can go buy the fuel line i need for the gas tank along with gas, but i had a quick question that i need a quick answer to, the parts store closes in 2 hours.

My gas lines come down the drivers side of the frame and at the end of them they have about 6-9 inchs of fuel line on them, i believe one is 3/8 and the other is 5/16,(i already cut off sections to take them in)But I wanted to know if i could go with the smaller fuel line instead of having two different fuel lines(PO could have put different sizes or one could have gotten bigger due to the age), because the inlets on the gas tank are the same size and the fuel lines look the same also.

Basically looking for some input from anyone that knows the size of rubber fuel lines i may need from the fuel lines to the gas tank?

Oh ya IO while i was down there i decided to look at my Rollbar, its welded in there :wtf:?
$40 for five feet of fuel line? :wtf:

For safety reasons, rubber fuel line shouldn't be run from the tank and back. Call me old school but - there is a reason why most racing sanctions limit the amount or rubber fuel line length, as well as most OEM's (even the older ones). Unless you can tell me you can tie up the rubber line (and even then I do not endorse a full length rubber line connection) - I'm bowing out of this conversation... Sorry Corey - I preach safety over all aspects, running a full rubber line in the frame is not safe. I hope you understand.

If your using the original steel line then I'm just going to stick my foot up my :censored: - but then that means your buying five feet of fuel line at an exorbitant price - either way - it doesn't click right...

We need pictures of the roll bar.:cool:
fuel lines are different so you don't try to take fuel to the carb fron the return on the tank. I want to say they are 1/4 and 5/16 inch but with out looking I won't swear to it.

You are using the metal fuel lines are you not? so you need the two sizes, Idealy about 2 feet of each.

Last edited:
We need pictures of the roll bar.:cool:
fuel lines are different so you don't try to take fuel to the carb fron the return on the tank. I want to say they are 1/4 and 5/16 inch but with out looking I won't swear to it.

You are using the metal fuel lines are you not? so you need the two sizes, Idealy about 2 feet of each.

Oh no no not at all am i gonna use rubber fuel line from my tank and back that just sounds dangerous! Im using the steel lines that are still there, there was a miss understanding probably in my typing, i only need about a foot of each size permitted they are different sizes(over time could have made one look bigger and my moving it up and down trying to take it off) One end of the rubber fuel line will be connected to my old steel lines and the other end to the gas tank inlets, now the real question is i have two steel lines down there and two inlets on the gas tank, does it matter which steel gas line connects to which inlet?

yes if you try to draw gas from the return your just going to suck air, or at least gas fumes. there is a fuel pick up on one of the lines coming from the tank. tha one with the pick up connects to the one that goes to the fuel pump. check the line size at the pump and check the line size from the fuel filter back to the tank. this will tell you which is which.:cool:

Oh no no not at all am i gonna use rubber fuel line from my tank and back that just sounds dangerous! Im using the steel lines that are still there, there was a miss understanding probably in my typing, i only need about a foot of each size permitted they are different sizes(over time could have made one look bigger and my moving it up and down trying to take it off) One end of the rubber fuel line will be connected to my old steel lines and the other end to the gas tank inlets, now the real question is i have two steel lines down there and two inlets on the gas tank, does it matter which steel gas line connects to which inlet?

yes if you try to draw gas from the return your just going to suck air, or at least gas fumes. there is a fuel pick up on one of the lines coming from the tank. tha one with the pick up connects to the one that goes to the fuel pump. check the line size at the pump and check the line size from the fuel filter back to the tank. this will tell you which is which.:cool:

Well then i know its 5/16 because thats all new and i went to the part store twice and found out this the hard way so, as far as the pick up i have a pretty good thought that its the one pointed towards the front, so ill just leave the gas tank down (permitted i can use the same tank)after i get fresh gas in it and try starting it with the new fuel line, and if it doesnt fire ill switch the lines and what not.

But i shouldnt need to blow the steel lines out with an air compressor should i? Well im going to go to the parts store to get the fuel line and get going on this!

I would blow them out and run carb cleaner spray through them.

Well then i know its 5/16 because thats all new and i went to the part store twice and found out this the hard way so, as far as the pick up i have a pretty good thought that its the one pointed towards the front, so ill just leave the gas tank down (permitted i can use the same tank)after i get fresh gas in it and try starting it with the new fuel line, and if it doesnt fire ill switch the lines and what not.

But i shouldnt need to blow the steel lines out with an air compressor should i? Well im going to go to the parts store to get the fuel line and get going on this!

I would blow them out and run carb cleaner spray through them.

So i got 4 feet of 5/16 regular non fuel injected type rubber fuel line and some new hose clamps all for 8 bucks :D lol but i have no air compressor :/ would it be such a horrible deal if i didnt blow the lines out? i still have to find a way to get the last bolt off on the gas tank to.

Get a can of carb cleaner spray and put the straw on the nozel. put it in the steel fuel line near the fuel pump and run cleaner through it. you should be able to see it come out the back end of the fuel line.
Next take a section of that nice clean new rubber hose and fit it to the end of the fuel line near the fuel pump and blow in the end. There should be no resistance.

When you get the tank down you need to pull the sending unit/ fuel pick up and look at the filter on the end of the drop tube.

Of course if you enjoy rebuilding carbs that much, don't blow it out, it improves the chances you will get to do it again.:laugh:

So i got 4 feet of 5/16 regular non fuel injected type rubber fuel line and some new hose clamps all for 8 bucks :D lol but i have no air compressor :/ would it be such a horrible deal if i didnt blow the lines out? i still have to find a way to get the last bolt off on the gas tank to.

Get a can of carb cleaner spray and put the straw on the nozel. put it in the steel fuel line near the fuel pump and run cleaner through it. you should be able to see it come out the back end of the fuel line.
Next take a section of that nice clean new rubber hose and fit it to the end of the fuel line near the fuel pump and blow in the end. There should be no resistance.

When you get the tank down you need to pull the sending unit/ fuel pick up and look at the filter on the end of the drop tube.

Of course if you enjoy rebuilding carbs that much, don't blow it out, it improves the chances you will get to do it again.:laugh:

:cool: I will wait till tomorrow to do it right then :rolleyes: i have to go grab my dads ole reliable portable air compressor and by grab that means make it mine lol,and snag a can of his carb cleaner to, he got a new Husky stand up not to long ago and the old one just sits in the shed. I may drop the tank tonight that sounds like a good idea and just have everything ready to go tomorrow and get it done bright and early :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom