GM 4.3L TBI into a 1967 CJ - Help please!!

GM 4.3L TBI into a 1967 CJ - Help please!!

swampdog

Jeeper
Thanks
This is about my '67 CJ. It currently has an older carbureted GM 305 with a TH350 Transmission . The 305 is making unpleasant noises and may need a rebuild.

I have a 1990 Chevrolet K5 Blazer (rollover) with a good 4.3 V6. It runs great and the compression is AMC 150 to 155 on all cylinders. It has the TBI fuel injection system.

The plan is to pull the 305 and install the 4.3 in the CJ. I want to keep the TH350, so that part is straightforward.

Can anyone offer practical information that will help get the 4.3 working in the Jeep? I want to use the TBI system and the computer and engine wiring from the Blazer. I know that Painless makes a wiring kit that makes this easier, but I'd rather not spend $400 on this. This project has a tight (like in very small) budget.

Any and all help, the more detailed the better, will be appreciated to make the 4.3 run in the CJ. Thanks in advance for your help!!

I rather have a 4.3 over a 305 any day. You can use the factory blazer harness.

You will need to pull the entire engine harness from the blazer and tag your sensor and driver wire connectors accordingly. Once you have that done, you can start removing wiring that does not pertain to inputs and outputs to streamline the harness. You can not fry the ecm as long as you do not ground a sensor harness. That is why correct labeling is important.

I have just talk to a guy how has a 4.3 s 10 that I have to go look at in the next two days with a TBI so post your progress so I can see how it is done...:chug:

You will need to pull the entire engine harness from the blazer and tag your sensor and driver wire connectors accordingly. Once you have that done, you can start removing wiring that does not pertain to inputs and outputs to streamline the harness. You can not fry the ecm as long as you do not ground a sensor harness. That is why correct labeling is important.

It should be an easy swap since you have the harness.
You could make life even easier and change the steering column also.
What Transmission is in the blazer?

Another thing is your fuel pressure. Carbs run on average of 5psi, TBI is about 15psi. You will have to run an electric pump, or if you can shoe horn it in, just put the blazer tank in.

It should be an easy swap since you have the harness.
You could make life even easier and change the steering column also.
What Transmission is in the blazer?

I guess easy is relative; we'll see how easy or hard it is. The engine is almost disconnected from the Blazer. The front of the Blazer is off, and the bolts (motor mounts, bolts to Transmission , etc) are out. Another hour or two of disconnecting hoses and marking wiring should do it, I hope.

I think that it's a 700R4 Transmission . I don't plan to use it for the swap because it is a different length than the TH350 that's in the Jeep now. Using the 700R4 also would require new adapters to fit it to the Dana TC. Using the Blazer TC is out because it is the opposite side drop from the Jeep.

Can you tell me why using the Blazer steering column would be better than sticking with the Jeep column?

I guess thats the problem, is it a toy or a classic? I don't think you will have a problem finding a home for the Buick.:cool:

I am thinking about it, but have not decided, but I like to crawl in the woods and engine needs to be rebuilt and the new one would be fuel injected.

Can you tell me why using the Blazer steering column would be better than sticking with the Jeep column?

IMO. It would make it a little more "plug & play"(no need to splice wires) if you used the whole harness, column,and fuse box from the blazer.

I guess thats the problem, is it a toy or a classic? I don't think you will have a problem finding a home for the Buick.:cool:
It is a play toy...And I know I will be able to find a home for it..

My bad I started it.
I don't think there will be that many wires to the engine to do a chevy shaft in a 67 CJ. I don't think that is an easy thing to do.

Two threads in one - this is getting confusing!:confused: Any more info or suggestions on the original topic of a 4.3 TBI transplant into the '67 CJ? Thanks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom