going to the dark side

going to the dark side

Cheepjeep85

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7, 258, t-176, D300, AMC20, D30
i first want to say that i don't like ford stuff never have, never will. I on more than one occasion have stood by my el cheapo HEI dist. and i still do BUT for some reason my jeep keeps fouling spark plugs and runs rich, now that being said, i've eliminated all other possibilities, and rebuilt the mc2100 twice, re-jetted it, played with my timing and put several different sets of plugs in it, no dice. So now, sadly i have to eliminate the only other possibility i can think of and that is my dist. I guess i'm going to do the tfi. I already bought all of the stuff to do it with (costs about $45) and i'm going to use a hei 4-pin module. i'm just wondering those of you who used the hei mod. what did you put it in? and theres something else i can't figure out, i know there is a resistor in the factory wiring harness that holds back power to the ignition, where is that at, and what does it cut the voltage down to? i'm getting 12v to my hei but it should be up around 13.5-14v when its running and the alternator is charging. maybe thats the problem with my hei. any ideas before i put more ford stuff on my jeep.

oh yeah, i'm ready to take the poopie i know is coming brockgrimes :laugh:

you want a 4 pin gm module out of like a 78 chevy. i had this before my msd box and still have it in so if the box fails i can change a couple of wires and it is hooked back up to keep going.

on more than one occasion have stood by my el cheapo HEI dist.

IMHO theres your problem. Buy a good high quality HEI, oh and get a new GM 4 pin, not a el cheapo (or used) or you will still be asking for troubles.
Just my 2 cents.:D

well it runs the same as before. So i'm back to my carb, my neighbor came over and started adjusting on it and got it running better than it has so far. it's been rebuilt twice but im pretty sure now its a pos. So i have a couple of options, keep the TFI and live with all of the extra :dung: under the hood, or put the HEI back in but either way its time for a new carb or tbi. i might try to improve on the tfi setup with a cdi box and a high dollar coil. i've also been waiting to put E3s in it till i could figure out why its fouling plugs, it could be time for those as well. In all reality it always ran just ok but not like it should, still way better than with the carter and factory ign. though.

old dog, i had a fairly new ign mod. in a distributor on the shelf. i say fairly new because it had a complete rebuild done to it (the distributor) less than 3 months before the motor blew and i pulled it out.

all in all its not been that great of a day.

Sounds like it's junk yard TBI time to me.:D

Check out summits cdi setup. Also the ford ecoil is just as good as most aftermarket stuff. Honestly the "tfi" mod is the best of fords tfi and Chevys hei.
I snagged my 4 pin out on a newer chevy in the yard.

well i went out and started it this morning at 2:30 and she fired right up didn't fumble or anything, idled fairly smooth, and generally ran better. BUT i still don't know if its the carb adjustments or the tfi, and i tell you i'm not going to pull all of the tfi stuff out and put the hei back in just to find out. i've decided that i'm just going to leave the tfi on it, the difference ain't worth it, plus its closer to factory for the jeep anyhow. i'm happy with it, except for all of extra :dung: and wiring under there now, but i'll live with that.

i've been considering the tbi for a while now, but the only thing holding me up is the annoying little thought that keeps popping in my head of a sbc under the hood. i don't wanna waste time and money setting it up for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l if i'm just going to pull it out. the tfi was cheap and easy, but tbi is a little more expensive, and labor intensive.

It's about $300 if you do the work yourself and run a stock tune.
Which btw runs better than most carbs, LOL.

oh i know it will run better but so will a 350. anyhow a little update after driving it for a week, i've figured out that most of the improvements are from the tfi. the carb is doing better but it is still overloading a little bit. I also noticed i'm getting better mpg i would tell you exactly how much but my odometer don't quite work right (i need a new speedo) but my $20 in gas lasted me all week driving back and forth to work, plus some.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom