Got a 60's with a 4.3l swap and transmission problems

Got a 60's with a 4.3l swap and transmission problems

Jeepenjoe

Jeeper
Thanks
Hello all,

First post second Jeep for me. So I am trying to help fix a 60's Jeep that has a 4.3L GM swapped into it. It has an automatic 4L60E Transmission . there are several cables not connected so I am trying to find any info on how to do this swap so I can fix what the person didn't do before. It also has a Painless wiring swap in but I do not see any computer, do I understand my research correct that this Transmission is electronically controlled?

Any help will be appreciated.

Welcome to the site. I am not familar with this particular swap, but there are a few others here who have done it. They will probably be chiming in on this later.

well swaps are swaps I guess, so did you get a computer with the jeep?
I hope you got it cheap as it looks like you inherited someones problem they could not solve.
I would suggest doing a google search for info about the tranny

I found this
Mechanically, the Transmission 's power transmitting core remained the same as its predecessor, but the valve body and actuation system for the clutches, bands, etc. is controlled by electronic actuators and solenoids. A Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is used as the primary feedback sensor, which feeds the PCM or ECM (vehicle powertrain computer) the data to make shift decisions. The engineering of this system is not regarded as a complication, but an elegant simplification and further improvement to this Transmission . The 4L60-E derives its designation from its specifications: 4-speeds, Longitudinally positioned, 6000 lbs. GVW, Electronically controlled, although the Transmission sees factory service in trucks up to 8600 lbs.

now you have to find the computer that makes it shift and set up all the sensors to tell it when to.

so another search is needed to figure that out.

is the engine FI? does it have a computer for that?

the painless for a jeep is usually a basic older GM 12 fuse system with no provisions for electronics in the engine so you will probably have to be kitbashing that in.

I would be willing to show you what is up if you want to haul it over here, but over the computer it would be a long process. Best bet would be looking for a guy locally and making friends with him fast.

another point, that engine is very much popular as a fork lift engine so you can get a propane kit and new computer for it cheap, but that would not help with the tranny, just the engine.

there should be a lot of resources on the web that will help with the sensors see how popular the tranny is in light vehicles, but with a 6000 pound rating you may look for a bigger tranny.

in no way am I trying to discourage you, I am just saying what you are up against, from the question you asked about does it take electronics to shift, I surmise that your mechanical abilities are not that developed yet, this project will develope them fast as getting the tranny to work will mean setting up speed sensors etc. wiring in a computer, and more than likely wiring in a computer for EFI on the motor. I imagine you bought the jeep with the motor and tranny, and the last owner was lost. Well we can get it to work, and do that here on line, but because of the project I would suggest you find a person in your town who likes to mess with this and have him show you what to do, then post up pics here. We will all be impressed with the progress, offer advice here and there, and with the hands on training you will get your mechanical abilities will take off.

best of luck,

Last edited:
Last edited:
All that in 10 minutes searching the web
:)
good luck

Sounds like the PO was in over his head and sold the jeep.
The 4L6-e is deffinetly computer controled. You might be able to get a wireing harness from a s-10 to make it work or you MIGHT be able to go with something like this TCI Transmission Control Unit System - JEGS I'm not really sure.
someone here might know the real answers, but your best bet is finding someone who has done a swap like this before.

IMHO

At this time I would be asking myself what is my budget and do I really want a Transmission on my off road vehicle that may or may not shift just exactly the way I want it to.I could see working out the details on the FI system but the tranny doesn't do that much for me.:cool:
You can do this, it isn't rocket surgery. the deal is not to compound on someone else's mistakes. Do not spend a lot of time and money on what may not have been all that great of an idea to begin with. The PO may have been given this drive train so it was the his logical choice, I guess.
I think one of the guys actually owns a motor from a fighter jet. So far he has resisted the urge to put it in a CJ8 .
In spite of peer pressure.:D

Last edited:
here's the deal yes it is computer controlled, yes you can use a wiring harness from an s-10, blazer, jimmy, or sonoma. you HAVE to know the year of the tranny and motor. the 4l60e electronics are year specific, when i replaced the tranny in my 99 s-10 i couldn't use one out of a 98, 97, 96. the tci controller from jegs will work to control the tranny stand alone, say for instance you wanted to put it behind a 70's 350 you could use the controller and it would work like a 700r4. your best bet though is to run the #s on the drivetrain and go to a scrap yard and buy a whole engine harnes from a wreck. if you already have the engine harness you can send it here Current Performance Wiring LT1, LT4, LS1, LS2, LS7 Engine Wiring Systems and they will modify it for you to make it stand alone. depends on how much $$$ you wanna spend, there are other ways to make it work though.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom