Hard to start

Hard to start

228jeeper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ-7, 258, Desmogged, 4 speed T-176, Carter-Weber 2731, headers (no idea what kind), K&N Air Cleaner. Everything else stock as near as I can tell
Jeep is hard to start after sitting for a couple of days, sometimes overnight. Once it does start and warm up, I can leave it sit for up to say half a day and it starts fine. Wires and connections to ballast resistor seem loose to me. I have recently replaced the pos and neg battery cables and the battery is good. I know this problem might be vague, but any idea where I would start? I wouldnt think it should be this hard to start when cold. Thanks.

Does the engine crank? If so it must be either spark or fuel. Use a spark tester.
SparkTester.gif
Pump the gas and see if gas squirts into the carb.

Jeep is hard to start after sitting for a couple of days, sometimes overnight. Once it does start and warm up, I can leave it sit for up to say half a day and it starts fine. Wires and connections to ballast resistor seem loose to me. I have recently replaced the pos and neg battery cables and the battery is good. I know this problem might be vague, but any idea where I would start? I wouldnt think it should be this hard to start when cold. Thanks.

1980 CJ7 with 304CID had the same trouble when I bought it in D'Iberville in Nov 2009. I re-oriented the two-outlet fuel filter just before the carb inlet so that the return feed was on top, replaced the rubber. But I believe the thing the did the trick was removing and capping the fuel return line to the canister.

All the rubber hoses were 'hosed', and I still have to go back to the rear to work over the fuel tank, but she will sit for a couple weeks without me having to crank forever to get fuel to the carb.

Yes, the engine cranks, and it will even start after a while when cold. Once it is hot, starts with no problem. Runs fine after starting too.

It seems the charcoal cannister has been removed and there is a hose that is positioned as if would have connected to it somehow. It is not capped, but open. Is this what should be capped? I will try to get a pic up a little later. Thanks.

I am also having the same problem. A little research pointed me to the Card as the issue. I have replaced all the ignition components as well as the battery so I know spark isn't the issue.

Check the carb and make sure its not time for a rebuild!

I have the same problem and a couple of priming pumps in the morning before starting helps most of the time, so I'm living with it. I was told (if I remember right -- not my firsthand experience) that when it comes time to rebuild my carb, to check that the metal isn't pitted -- preventing new rubber parts (accelerator pump) from sealing properly.

Here we go again. Jeep was hatd to start this morning but got it running. Took the air cleaner off and looked into the carb. It is getting gas. My cj has a manual chole installed by the previous owner. After looking at it awhile and feeling something just was not right, It seems that the choke cable is not even attached to the carb in any way, please see the pics. Could this be causing my problem? If so, how do I reconnect it and where. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0753.jpg
    DSC_0753.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 791
  • DSC_0754.jpg
    DSC_0754.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 854
  • DSC_0755.jpg
    DSC_0755.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 911
That disconnected choke cable is 100% you problem. The engine needs a richer fuel mixture during startup and when cold. It looks like you missing some pieces for the manual choke. Run down to the parts store and pick up another manual choke conversion kit, they only cost a couple of bucks. Installing it is pretty strait forward, it attaches to the side of the carb and manually operates the choke arm which is in the 2in round boss down low on the valve cover side of your carb.

Good luck!

Are the manual choke conversion kits you are talking about carb specific? Because I have no idea what carb is on mine now. I rigged the choke cable somewhat, and wouldn't you know it she starts up cold like a charm, and runs better when warm. Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have any idea of the part number for the ring/clip that holds the choke cap on? I bought a choke conversion kit as suggested in an earlier post, but it does not come with the clip to keep it on. I could probably fab something, but was hoping that someone may know which way to send me. Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom