Head questions

Head questions

Stomper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 cj5 in corvette yellow,232 inline six(at the moment)3spd,front amd rear lockers,33's,soft top,
Hey guys and gals,I have been researching a head swap on my AMC 232 i6 .I found a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head that has been rebuilt for really cheap!With my research I have learned the AMC 232 i6 and AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l are almost identical.What I can't seem to find is if I need to make any changes,if I were to put a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head on a AMC 232 i6 block?Some things I am thinking about are;are the push rods different?Are the head bolts different sizes?I know some heads are 7/16 and some are 1/2,depending on the year.Would the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head make performance better by increasing flow?I have searched for three days,on several forums and websites.Maybe they are identical so no one ever talks about doing this?Any and all help is appreciated!I am having jeep withdrawls,PLEASE HELP!

I would be surprised to find there was any difference between the AMC 232 i6 and AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head. I am not finding fault with the decision to return to as close to stock as possible but have you considered the 4.0 head over the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?? It does give you an increase in air flow. I am guessing you have a one barrel carb. a two barrel and a cam would also be an improvement. There is a difference between the one bbl and two bbl cams. On the other hand there is a lot to be said for being mobile ASAP and sweat the big stuff in the winter.:cool:

Hey guys and gals,I have been researching a head swap on my AMC 232 i6 .I found a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head that has been rebuilt for really cheap!With my research I have learned the AMC 232 i6 and AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l are almost identical.What I can't seem to find is if I need to make any changes,if I were to put a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head on a AMC 232 i6 block?Some things I am thinking about are;are the push rods different?Are the head bolts different sizes?I know some heads are 7/16 and some are 1/2,depending on the year.Would the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head make performance better by increasing flow?I have searched for three days,on several forums and websites.Maybe they are identical so no one ever talks about doing this?Any and all help is appreciated!I am having jeep withdrawls,PLEASE HELP!

I have considered a 4.0 head,I currently run a 2 barrel and hei distributor.I was considering a better cam also.I thought since I though since I would have the head off I might as well tackle that also.The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head is only a hundred dollars,rebuilt with all new components.That is why I was thinking to go with it,and a little bigger cam.

There is nothing wrong with that plan. If you can I would recommend a three angle valve grind and an "RV" cam, high torque at low RPM. Both could be had without breaking the bank. Is the 2 bbl an upgrade?:cool:

I have considered a 4.0 head,I currently run a 2 barrel and hei distributor.I was considering a better cam also.I thought since I though since I would have the head off I might as well tackle that also.The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head is only a hundred dollars,rebuilt with all new components.That is why I was thinking to go with it,and a little bigger cam.

Yes the 2 barrel is an upgrade,it was put on by the last owner.I also have the original one barrel.I have tried both,by far the 2 barrel weber is a ton better.Also I was thinking of doing a better intake and exhaust.

I think the cam would be a big plus but I have not done it myself. I also still have the one bbl cam in my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a two bbl Carter.

Yes the 2 barrel is an upgrade,it was put on by the last owner.I also have the original one barrel.I have tried both,by far the 2 barrel weber is a ton better.Also I was thinking of doing a better intake and exhaust.

The extra duration and lift will help with performance and fuel mileage is what I am thinking.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom