Trans Hello and Help (CJ7 4wd to 2WD?)

Trans Hello and Help (CJ7 4wd to 2WD?)

DaManny

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ7, 304, T150, D200
Hello, I am new member of the Jeep club lol, finally taking the plunge and buying a '79 CJ7 that was left in a field (literally) for what I believe was a half of its life. The tub is rusted out and other problems such and such as (seized?)engine and tranny/tcase needs rebuilt. I was thinking just to be able to move around the land I got while I'm seeing if the original drive train is worth rebuilding of putting in a 350 with a th350 and running it 2wd for now. I tried looking online and in this forum but I didn't get far, but I am always the type to spend 20 minutes looking for the ratchet in my hand. If anyone can tell me why or why not this is ok I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20200818_191558.jpg
    20200818_191558.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200809_192357.jpg
    20200809_192357.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 35
You won't know if it's worth rebuilding unless you take it apart and see what's lurking inside.

Are you thinking of going 2wd permanently? If not, I would suggest doing the work once and getting the transmission/transfer case that you want to be in it in the end, and call it good.

Rebuilding would most likely be the cheapest option, but it would probably be more time consuming depending on if you buy a crate engine or build a 350 from scratch. Either option takes a lot of planning and organization...especially with a conversion. I know this because I'm just finishing up a 351w conversion, and there's only a handful of folks out there that have done a 351/302 swap. Even the common 350/LS swap requires a good amount of research...unless you have prior experience doing the swap.

If it was sitting that long, you'll need to take a look at the fuel tank, lines, brakes, diffs, and all rubber.

FWIW, I've been planning/executing my 351w swap for the last two years. Drove it with the old engine until June of this year, and I'm about a month out from completion. I don't get a whole lot of free time to work on it, and I've run into several delays due to manufacturing and my own mistakes. I'm an engineer, so I got organized by developing a Gantt chart to plot out all the work that needed to get done. Even with something like that, my ADD would get the best of me and I'd find other projects to do.

The smarter folks here may have some better insight on the 2wd trans question.

:welcome:
That CJ is not bad by any means. Heck, I had a C-clamp holding my floor board brace down for a while because when I pushed the clutch pedal down it lifted the Jeep up instead depressing the clutch. LOL :chug:

The engine you have is good, why not pour some atf or marvel oil in the bores for a while and see if it frees up?

“...my ADD would get the best of me and I'd find other projects to do.”

Tell me about it. I hear you, man.

“...my ADD would get the best of me and I'd find other projects to do.”

Tell me about it. I hear you, man.

Don't get me wrong, the CJ loves all the extra attention I've given her...new custom dash, new seats, bedliner tub and inside wheel wells, refreshed fresh air/heater box, and countless other small details.

It's a lot of "hey, might as well take _________ out while I have __________ off and clean it up and make it nice again."

Good thing I love ramen!

The reason I'm thinking of doing the sbc350 swap is that I do have a long block 350 out of truck that I know is still good and a couple th350s I kept when I did an Auto to Manual swaps on my Camaros (I like 79s lol). When I brought the jeep home the transmission had been opened and the cover was off so it could be in permanent neutral state (I guess easier to push out of the way). I could see dirt and rocks in it. The Dana 200 didn't look too bad and the end play seems ok, but I know it needs a rebuild. I love standards but have been looking to have a nice "little mule" that I can use on some trails but also in town and maybe even rig a crude cruise control as well. Ill post more pictures am a hen I get off work.

I have SBC in mine, bought it that way. However I ripped it all apart because it was done poorly. As cglax6 said it does require some planning, an attribute that wasn't used on mine. If you do the swap, the th350 is a good choice, either as a 2wd or 4x4. Novak Conversions is a good site read up on swaps, they also sell adapters for the trans to D20.

I installed a LM7 5.3L in my CJ with a TH350. Front drive shaft just does clear the oil pan. Trans will be longer so both driveshafts will need to be adjusted for length. Bc is it is longer the transfer shifter position will also change.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks