HELP, Jeep CJ Engine Swap, AMC 360 out of a J10 I believe?

HELP, Jeep CJ Engine Swap, AMC 360 out of a J10 I believe?

viper1day

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5
Ok so I bought this running 360, and was told it came out of a Jeep J10, I have been cleaning it up and painted the block to put in my 1980 CJ5 . When I went to drop it in last night I couldn't get it to fit for sh@t. I have V8 motor mounts, new polyurethane mounts, and I used the mounts that were on the block. I had 2 problems, 1...the oil filter is hitting on the frame, so there must be a different oil pump on CJ's, any help on this one is appreciated. 2...The mounts are just too wide for the frame, no matter how you put them in, no matter which combination I tried, So do V8 CJ's have smaller mount brackets, the one's that bolt between the block and the rubber mounts. Please help any way you can, I am about ready to just put the 6 back in it.

I wish I could be of help but I have never done this. See if you can PM Longhorn, He is the first person I would ask about this, he has a 401 in his CJ8 and I would bet lunch it didn't come from Toledo that way.:cool:

Ok so I bought this running 360, and was told it came out of a Jeep J10, I have been cleaning it up and painted the block to put in my 1980 CJ5 . When I went to drop it in last night I couldn't get it to fit for sh@t. I have V8 motor mounts, new polyurethane mounts, and I used the mounts that were on the block. I had 2 problems, 1...the oil filter is hitting on the frame, so there must be a different oil pump on CJ's, any help on this one is appreciated. 2...The mounts are just too wide for the frame, no matter how you put them in, no matter which combination I tried, So do V8 CJ's have smaller mount brackets, the one's that bolt between the block and the rubber mounts. Please help any way you can, I am about ready to just put the 6 back in it.

I also need to know which holes to use for the mounts...Looks like the front mounts will only work on one set of holes due to the size of the mount, but Transmission support has 3 different sets of holes, some elongated and the frame has at least 3 sets of holes on the bottom. I am affraid I am getting in over my head

are you using the transmision and bell housing from the J-10 also?

I also need to know which holes to use for the mounts...Looks like the front mounts will only work on one set of holes due to the size of the mount, but Transmission support has 3 different sets of holes, some elongated and the frame has at least 3 sets of holes on the bottom. I am affraid I am getting in over my head

All V8 mounts are the same.

Are you changing over from an I6? The left (maybe right depending on how you look at the CJ) mount is different between an I6 and a V8.

I picked up some v8 mounts, but the drivers side was cracked, so I used the one I had from the I6...I changed the passenger side mount to the V8 mount with the 2 elongated holes.

so far so good, I do know that the bell and Transmission from a J-10 are too long to fit in a CJ. I will throw in a bit of a situation I see. The V8 is externally balanced, this means the crank, pistons, harmonic balancer , rods and flywheel are balanced as one part. The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l flywheel will not be balanced for the 360 crank. This may cause some vibration problems. They pretty much suggest that the flywheel from the original assembly be part of the motor but of course the flex plate would do you no good at all. It just keeps getting better.:cool:

No, I took the bellhousing and flywheel off of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to put on the 360. It was an automatic so I had to put a pilot bushing in it. Do you see another problem I have overlooked?

The fly wheels are engine specific & should always be re-surfaced before use.

CJ is correct all Jeep V8 mounts are the same, they suck. The block brackets are the same. The frame brackets are different.

I have changed over to M.O.R.E. motor mounts, granted they are expensive, but IMHO worth it.

Attachments

• dsc0006.jpg
    dsc0006.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,772
  • jm301z.jpg
    jm301z.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,663
  • DSCI0138.jpg
    DSCI0138.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3,655
  • DSCI0137.jpg
    DSCI0137.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 5,731
These are the previously described POS factory Jeep motor mounts.

101_0155.jpg
Notice the slightly modified condition due to V8 torque.:mad:

These are the block & frame brackets.

101_0157.jpg

After looking at your pic's every thing should bolt in.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom