Help me find M/C 2100 PLZ

Help me find M/C 2100 PLZ

mogles

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7 Laredo 258ci 6 cyl. I guess the rest is stock.. 35in tires , 1999 F-150 pu. flareside. totally stock , 2005 Dodge Minivan totally stock
:cool:I am going to swap my Carter P.O.S. for a M/C 2100 carb. I have already found a ton of material for the install but I cannot locate a Junkyard donor.. I can buy a rebuilt one for 195.00 but was hoping to get a junkyard steal and rebuild it myself... Shipping inst a prob since i work for Fed Ex. I just need the carb and any linkages for the swap as well as a adapter plate. Any info welcome. I think I want one of the larger FM models for power in my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ....

Also planning to upgrade the ignition ---any suggestions???
:D :cool:

A lot of Ford V8's came with 2100 carbs on them, 289's up to 351M's. Also earlier AMC 304 V8's came with MC2100's on them, on a CJ, a Waggy or an AMC car. The biggest thing that you need to make sure of venturi size. On the side of fuel bowl there is a number inside what looks like a clock. That number equals the CFM rating of the carb.

venturi = CFM
.98 = 190
1.01 = 240
1.02 = 245
1.08 = 287
1.14 = 300
1.21 = 351
1.23 = 356
1.33 = 424

For a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l the 1.08 is the one that will give you the best performance. You'll need a carb adapter, Summit or Jegs is probably going to be the easiest place to pick one up, the adapter needs to look like this one, but there's lot's to choose from.

trd-2086.jpg

What exactly do you mean by "planning to upgrade the ignition"? Do you want to upgrade the ignition box and coil, are you looking to do the "team rush" thing? What are you planning?

Thanks for the help,,,
I ended up buying a carb with a 1.21 venturi....is this too large ?:confused:

Thanks for the help,,,
I ended up buying a carb with a 1.21 venturi....is this too large ?:confused:

Probably. Any post that I have read of someone trying to use a 1.21 on a stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l said it was just too much carburetor.

Can I size it down easily or must I find anoother carb. I have already bought one fro 60.00 out of a 71 ford truck...

Also i am thinking of doing a TFI upgrade? on my cj... IS this a good idea?
And what does T.F.I. mean? ( too :censored: expensive ???... what?):D

TFI = Thick Film Ignition

Used on Ford vehicles with distributors from the early 1980s to the mid-1990s. It was used on a number of Ford's engines, the EFI 5.0 engines in particular. The TFI module is a gray box fitted to the side of the distributor. It is about one inch wide, and about four inches long.

The TFI modules are available as Holley 891-105 or Accel 35368 (~$46), as well as from a number of aftermarket sources. From this website: TFI Ignition Control

Basically you're swapping different Ford ignition parts from the stock (also Ford) parts. I know the info is on this site somewhere, if not let us know, there's quite a few guys here that have done it.

If you can find an identical 2100 series carb that is a 1.08 venturi (for really cheap), you may be able to swap the venturi cluster assemblies.

carb_o5.jpg

As far as the carb is concerned I will see if I can just purchase a 1.08 venturi tomorrow since im already 60 bucks into this one. live and learn right ! ) hopefully it wont be too bad... on the TFI --is it really an advantage ?? is it worth doing? I guess is my real question... What kind of "enhancements" should I see? :)

EB sez,
A lot of Ford V8's came with 2100 carbs on them, 289's up to 351M's. Also earlier AMC 304 V8's came with MC2100's on them, on a CJ, a Waggy or an AMC car. The biggest thing that you need to make sure of venturi size. On the side of fuel bowl there is a number inside what looks like a clock. That number equals the CFM rating of the carb.

venturi = CFM
.98 = 190
1.01 = 240
1.02 = 245
1.08 = 287
1.14 = 300
1.21 = 351
1.23 = 356
1.33 = 424

For a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l the 1.08 is the one that will give you the best performance.

Very good information.

venturi = CFM
.98 = 190
1.01 = 240
1.02 = 245
1.08 = 287
1.14 = 300
1.21 = 351
1.23 = 356
1.33 = 424

For a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l the 1.08 is the one that will give you the best performance.

Elwood, this is some awesome info. I'll hang on to this and take it with me when I go carb shopping. I was thinking of getting a better carb this summer. Mine works good but it dries out overnight and takes a lot of cranking to refill it before the engine starts.

:cool:I am going to swap my Carter P.O.S. for a M/C 2100 carb. I have already found a ton of material for the install but I cannot locate a Junkyard donor.. I can buy a rebuilt one for 195.00 but was hoping to get a junkyard steal and rebuild it myself... Shipping inst a prob since i work for Fed Ex. I just need the carb and any linkages for the swap as well as a adapter plate. Any info welcome. I think I want one of the larger FM models for power in my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ....

Also planning to upgrade the ignition ---any suggestions???
:D :cool:

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to find an old ford V8 donor truck or car from 1958 to 1969 at a junk yard near Macon? Just look for one that has either 1.08 or 1.14 on the side. That's the size of the venturis in inches. A 1.08 is 287 CFM and the 1.14 is 300 CFM. Don't buy one that has 1.21 on it. Those are for larger engines and they flow 351 CFM which is too big for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . If you see other threads where people claim the CFMs for a 1.08 and 1.14 MC2100 and MC2150 are a lot higher, don't pay attention. Several sites I've found have users mistakenly claiming the CFMs are a lot higher because they're confusing the CFMs of the 4 barrel 1.08 etc with the 2 barrel numbers...

As far as ignition goes, I bought a brand new aftermarket HEI with 1 wire hookup on ebay for only $58 and it came with the correct distributor gear for an AMC inline 6 already installed. I've put 5000 miles on it without a single problem.

You'll see some web sites that warn against these because a lot of aftermarket distributor gears are hardened and can eat some cam gears, but that's only a problem when running one in an AMC V8 because those have a soft gear that attaches to the cam and is not actually as part of the cam shaft. The inline 6 cylinders cam gear is actually part of the cam itself and therefore it's hardened and will not get eaten by an aftermarket hardened distributor gear.

Last edited:
As far as the carb is concerned I will see if I can just purchase a 1.08 venturi tomorrow since im already 60 bucks into this one. live and learn right ! ) hopefully it wont be too bad... on the TFI --is it really an advantage ?? is it worth doing? I guess is my real question... What kind of "enhancements" should I see? :)

When I did my upgrade I upgraded from the single barrel Carter YF. I went with a 1.14 venturi MC2100 and a Summit Racing brand ignition box and coil. I DID NOT do the TFI (aka the team rush) modification. There are a lot of people out there that swear by it, I chose not to.

The difference in throttle response and gas milage was ENORMOUS. My CJ struggled to get up to 60 on the highway and get up any hill without downshifting in to third. I no longer have either of those problems. I highly recommend the MC2100 carb swap, it's a much better carb in both design and function.

Elwood, this is some awesome info. I'll hang on to this and take it with me when I go carb shopping. I was thinking of getting a better carb this summer. Mine works good but it dries out overnight and takes a lot of cranking to refill it before the engine starts.

Glad I could help :chug:

I highly recommend the MC2100 carb swap, it's a much better carb in both design and function.

I've been kicking back and forth between a mc2100 or a Howell TBI.
Is the TBI worth the additional expence?

When I did my upgrade I upgraded from the single barrel Carter YF. I went with a 1.14 venturi MC2100 and a Summit Racing brand ignition box and coil. I DID NOT do the TFI (aka the team rush) modification. There are a lot of people out there that swear by it, I chose not to.

The difference in throttle response and gas milage was ENORMOUS. My CJ struggled to get up to 60 on the highway and get up any hill without downshifting in to third. I no longer have either of those problems. I highly recommend the MC2100 carb swap, it's a much better carb in both design and function.

Great to hear from someone else that has a 1.14" MC 2100! I will be trying mine out this weekend when I install it while I'm doing my 4.0 head swap. You don't happen to know what jets you're running in yours do you? Everyone always talks about what jets to run in a 1.08" on a Jeep AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I haven't found anyone talking about what to do with the 1.14"? I wouldn't think it would be much different though. The 1.14" only flows 13 more CFMs than the 1.08".

Wow, that's a lot cheaper!! I'm going to start going there, thanks :chug:

No problem. The first place I found wanted about $20 including shipping, so I was really happy to find this place that has ever part you could want and doesn't screw you on the shipping. :eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom