help needed !!!

help needed !!!

jcar

Jeeper
Thanks
hello, i am new to this site and just bought my first jeep. it's a 1979 CJ5 with a 351 w and a 3 speed transmission. its lifted and has 38s on it. i am a novice to jeeps and really dont much about them. i met the guy lastnight that i got if from and looked it over and had my brother-in-law check it out and we drove it. everthing checked out, engine, trans, 4 wheel drive everything was fine. made trade today, on our way (wife and i) to get temp tag and put insurance on was at redlight and jeep made a grinding noise from rear end, cut off, restarted, would go into gear but would not pull ! did it jump transfer case and if so, what caused it ??

Can you take picture of the rear differential? Or do you know what model it is? Are you sure that's where the noise came from?

Hello jcar and welcome to the site! :chug:

I have to agree with kicknjeep - can you tell us what rear end is in the CJ? I bet it is the stock AMC20 and you spun the hub - very common! :(

I'm with Longhorn, If you have an AMC20 rear end, you prolly spun out an axle hub. 38;s and a 351 is a lot to ask from that rear end.

Yep, I did it with a stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , sitting on pavement, trying to go over a speed bump :laugh:

I would also like to see some pic's of the whole jeep. to see how they fit the tires.
If you have 38's & a v8 and still have the stock axles you are going to be breaking things all the time.:mad:

My money is on the HUB, this same thing happened to me and my buddy a few ago on the trail! GRR it sucked! That stock 20 cant handle those tires let alone that 351!! BTW WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :chug:

thanks everyone for the replies....i'm not sure of anything on the jeep only that its a 79 CJ5 with a 351 with 38s on it. the guy i got it from came by to assist me this morning and pulled the cover off the rear end and said it shatterd the gears in it. i will take pictures of everything on it and post them this afternoon. any advise on things that i should improve please let me know. my daughter and i are just sick over this whole ordeal. jeep is for her and i dont want this to happen while she is driving it. again thanks everyone and i will get pics posted as soon as i can.

Does it have a body lift? Could have flexed the tub and made it pop out of gear and while the engine was running you may have tried to put it in gear w/the t-case gears spinning even though you pushed the clutch in.

X1000 on the rear if it is a AMC20 but i have wheeled w/them a lot, the right foot has something to do w/it but on 38's and not 33's if would be more inclined to say one piece axles are needed unless you snapped off some spider gears.

Did you call the person you bought it from? What did he/she say?

Rollbar, I think you missed the part where he said they (the PO and he) pulled the diff cover and the gears are gone... :(

Sorry to hear about that! A new ring and pinion isn't real hard to put in but - there are allot of things that will help us tell you the best course of action... First thing is what diff is under that CJ.

The pictures will tell us more.

Yep, sure did. Hum, might need new glasses or turn the light on. :)

thanks everyone for the replies....i'm not sure of anything on the jeep only that its a 79 CJ5 with a 351 with 38s on it. the guy i got it from came by to assist me this morning and pulled the cover off the rear end and said it shatterd the gears in it. i will take pictures of everything on it and post them this afternoon. any advise on things that i should improve please let me know. my daughter and i are just sick over this whole ordeal. jeep is for her and i dont want this to happen while she is driving it. again thanks everyone and i will get pics posted as soon as i can.

I would suggest trading down on the tires. Are you saying this is for her as a DD? Either way, too much tire/engine for the axles.

Jcar, How old is your daughter? I hope like :censored: this isn't suppose to be be her first car. :eek: That's a vehicle for an expert driver. I love my Jeep on "38's" but I've a lot of Jeep miles under my belt. I definitely would not let any of my Kids drive it, for their safety. Granted opinions are like A-holes, everybody's got one. That's mine.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it may have one piece axles if the spider gears gave before the hubs spun. jcar any updates?

Jcar, How old is your daughter? I hope like :censored: this isn't suppose to be be her first car. :eek: That's a vehicle for an expert driver. I love my Jeep on "38's" but I've a lot of Jeep miles under my belt. I definitely would not let any of my Kids drive it, for their safety. Granted opinions are like A-holes, everybody's got one. That's mine.

hey my first car was a lifted v8 jeep with 36s. I also have amc 20s in the rear. A jeep would need crazy lift to actually articulate those tires on the stock width amc 20s. Either that or some crazy trimming has taken place. Can you put up pictures? Is the diff cover circular on the rear? How far do the wheels stick out of the tub? Any info will help us help you.

Those AMC20 's are weak. I broke mine right in the middle of a mud pit and draged my jeep out on 3 wheels. I did a swap with a early 70's ford 100 that a had 9" with the same bolt pattern. Wasn't to hard and found the 9" at the junkyard for $100.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks