Help... Newly Installed Transmission Noise...

Help... Newly Installed Transmission Noise...

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Just reinstalled my rebuilt T-15 . Got a new clutch disc (pressure plate looked good so reused it) new pilot bushing, new throwout bearing... Flywheel was resurfaced too...

Got all buttoned up last night and started her, and there was a "grinding noise" coming from the bell housing area... I can't tell what it is, but it is loud when the clutch is engaged (pedal to the floor), gets quieter (but still there) when in neutral with clutch out... Not sure about under load yet...

I should mention, After installing the clutch disc, i did remember i needed to put a little grease in the pilot bushing (small amount, though I'm thinking now maybe too much :() with the alignment tool tip... Is it possible / likely i dropped some grease between the flywheel and clutch disc, and that is causing the noise? Like clutch slipping? If so will it burn off, or do i need to remove and clean?

I didn't have my gas tank secured yet, from another project, so couldn't really drive around the block to see if it would work itself out... Maybe the input shaft bearing hasn't got the grease up to it yet???

I didn't go through my book and fully run through the clutch linkage adjustment instructions yet either...

I'm really hoping i don't need to uninstall the Transmission again... :censored: But will if necessary...:censored::censored::censored:

So my plan tonight was, Get everything else all secure (gas tank, etc) go through the instructions in my book for linkage adjustment, then take her around the block a few times to see if it quits that :censored:...

Any thoughts on any of this???

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know... :notworthy:
:chug:

~ JR

Kinda soulds like the throwout bearing.

You said you replaced the bearing and bushing. Have you double checked that you have the right ones? Also did you line up the clutch plate with the pilot bushing? Using some sort of alignment tooL? Best I can think of other than take her down and inspect for "grinding". As far as i've known clutch slippage hasn't sounded like grinding..you don't mean "chatter" do you?

Edit: You didn't find any extra bolts after you had it all back together did you?

Alright i am a knuckle head... Embarassed, but cant leave u all hanging... :cool:

Installed the lower inspection plate wrong. It was grinding the flywheel back side... Good thing i shut it right off last night and didnt go for any driving to fix it plan... So i dont think there was even any flywheel damage!;)

Anyways, the tranny and clutch have been shot since i bought her. Front bearing when out in tranny... Long story short i had it rebuilt

This is a whole different jeep now!!
:eek:
:chug:
~ Jr

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom