HElp with my first CJ

mighty

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82' Cj7
360 with 400 turbo and Dana 300
Gotpropane.com kit
D44's with detroit locker in rear and limited slip in front.
custom cage
IT is an 82 with a 360amc in it. Here is my question and Ive searched till my eyes are bleeding??

I want better so would you guys do a propane conversion and where would you get the kit???

Or would you do an EFI motor in this rig. What would I need for a newer EFI motor?

OR if you stayed with carb which one?'

I climb steep rocks and hills and tired of dieing!!

Please dont flame me Im learnin,!

I think EFI is the way to go. There are propane Convertions out there but don' t know that much about them. I am running a Howell TBI on an AMC 401 and really like it. It is Holley and Chevy components that you get parts for at the auto parts store. This same TBI will work on the 360. For more money you can run an Edelbrock multi- port fuel injection. I'm sure others here could tell you how to piece together an EFI set up from salvage yards.
Dennis

propane is great, but you have to mount the forklift tanks in the jeep somewhere. It can also be hard to come by in some areas.
EFI is great also. I run a Howell TBI (chevy parts) on my 350 and love it. It can also be done with junkyard parts for cheap if you have the time and knowledge.
IMO the best carb is a mc2100 for off road. The EFI & Propane still blows it away though.

Im running propane on my 401 and I love it. As said however, you need to have the tanks inside the jeep which means you lose the back seat.
I bought my conversion through the classifieds used, the kit was originally on a 500hp 383 stroker...I get more power and comparable fuel economy compared to the quadrajet I was running before.
The conversion is super easy and there is almost no tuning required other then timing. No computer, no wires, no extra bs. :D

Ive been eye balling the kits from gotpropne.com I think they make a kit for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l for less then 900.

Yes you may loose a lttle space behind the seat. Havent had the chance to measure it out think you might either be able to get it to fit with out or move the seat up. I even thought about looking into mounting a tank under the body and fill it like a RV. or recessing it in the back.

A few other good things about it.
If your on an extended trip id feel safer carying around 2-3 extra tanks then 30-40 gallons of gas.
They make kits to use grill tanks as back ups
If your running low you can have the significant other run to fill your spare tank and not have to worry about loading your rig up on a trailer to drive it to a station.
Hight octane rating
Burns very clean
Looks cool.

Im gonna save my pennies and run it on mine.

If you go with a carb the Holley Off Road Truck Avenger works well.
TA_IntoZOOM.jpg

bren-9-08_088.jpg

bren-9-08_090.jpg

bren-9-08_092.jpg

DSCI0135b.jpg
That's what I run.
I not a "Extreme" rockcrawler, but a carb is stupid simple & you can fill up anywhere. Even in Mexico, if you balls are big enough.:biggun: :laugh:

Ive been eye balling the kits from gotpropne.com I think they make a kit for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l for less then 900.

Yes you may loose a lttle space behind the seat. Havent had the chance to measure it out think you might either be able to get it to fit with out or move the seat up. I even thought about looking into mounting a tank under the body and fill it like a RV. or recessing it in the back.

Mmm...You'll lose a lot of space behind the seat...like the entire area. I run two 8 gallon forklift tanks just behind the front seats and they stretch almost all the way to the gate and take up everything between the fender wells.
do not I repeat, do not run them unprotected such as under the vehicle. You're Jeep will turn into a rocket once the tanks puncture. The best case scenario in that situation is you lose all your gas...and quick. :eek:

But I love my propane system and would not even consider going back. The carb settup is the simplest I have ever seen and you get rid of the emmisions (if legal). And as said, it burns super clean being low on the carbon scale...there is nothing to build up on engine components. It also keeps engine temperatures lower. My 401 runs 20 degrees cooler then when i was on gasoline. Yes, I was runnning hot at about 220, which really isnt that abnormal for a built 401 let alone any built motor.....I average right about 200 degrees now in the heat of summer which I can live with

Last edited:
I Love the propane conversion on my 79 ford 4x4. :cool:

Never had a single problem on any angle with flooding out or with smog... But i have room in the 8' bed for an 80 gal tank:D

Like every one has said, the pros and cons for it have all been listed already so i wont bore by repeating... I love the conversion... Not right for my jeep though:(

Need the room...
:chug:

Jr

A few other good things about it.
If your on an extended trip id feel safer carying around 2-3 extra tanks then 30-40 gallons of gas.
They make kits to use grill tanks as back ups
If your running low you can have the significant other run to fill your spare tank and not have to worry about loading your rig up on a trailer to drive it to a station.
Hight octane rating
Burns very clean
Looks cool.

Im gonna save my pennies and run it on mine.

You could fab a rack that holds them vertically to give you more room.;)

I would think that laying down one fork lift tank would fit behind the seat.. any one with a seat and a tape measure care to get us a number?

Oh and theres also a set up to hook a propane grill to your trailer hitch and run it of your truck.

I have a huge back seat, but with a custom one or maybe some creative thinking it is do-able i assume... :rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom