Hi from Little Rock, AR

Hi from Little Rock, AR

Tony Carter

Jeeper
Thanks
My name is Tony and I have just become the owner of the second CJ5 I have ever owned. The problem is I don't know what I've purchased. The VIN is JOM83AB720838. Can anyone help me figure out what I have? Thanks!

What is this?

My name is Tony and I have just become the owner of the second CJ5 I have ever owned. The problem is I don't know what I've purchased. The VIN is JOM83AB720838. I've used the VIN decoder but the engine description says N/A. The B in the VIN on the firewall is definately a B. That is also what is shown on the title. It has a AMC 304 , 4spd, power steering, power brakes, factory tach and clock, volt, oil pressure, and dashpad. Can anyone help me figure out what I have? Thanks!

EDIT: Merged threads - CJ

My name is Tony and I have just become the owner of the second CJ5 I have ever owned. The problem is I don't know what I've purchased. The VIN is JOM83AB720838. Can anyone help me figure out what I have? Thanks!

Hi Tony, welcome to the site!

Far as I can tell, You have a 1980 CJ5 made with a 4 speed SR4 tranny mated to a Dana 300 Transfer Case . The GVW is 3750
I'm a bit confused on the engine code, are you sure It's a B and not an E?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site Tony! :chug:

JOM83AB720838

J - Jeep
0 - 1980
M - 4 spd
83 - CJ5
A - 3750 LBS GVW
B - ?? Are you sure it's not and 'A', 'C', 'E', or 'H'

720838 - serial number

EDIT: Damn fast there CW! :notworthy:

Hello and welcome to the site Tony! :chug:

JOM83AB720838

J - Jeep
0 - 1980
M - 4 spd
83 - CJ5
A - 3750 LBS GVW
B - ?? Are you sure it's not and 'A', 'C', 'E', or 'H'

720838 - serial number

EDIT: Damn fast there CW! :notworthy:

WHO'S YOUR DADDY!:D This is the second time TODAY, that I have found the "B" engine code on an 80 CJ. I wonder if there is any chance that there was a cross over for the low comp AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's that ended in 1979 used up in some 80 models??

Hi Tony. Welcome to the site :chug:

I went ahead and merged these threads... :)

I'm going to have to do some digging in my books and see if I can come up with a 'B' engine designation...

Re: What is this?

My name is Tony and I have just become the owner of the second CJ5 I have ever owned. The problem is I don't know what I've purchased. The VIN is JOM83AB720838. I've used the VIN decoder but the engine description says N/A. The B in the VIN on the firewall is definately a B. That is also what is shown on the title. It has a AMC 304 , 4spd, power steering, power brakes, factory tach and clock, volt, oil pressure, and dashpad. Can anyone help me figure out what I have? Thanks!

Tony, that is literally the second time today that I have found that B engine code on an 80 model CJ. I have no reference for that code in 1980. All I can figure is there may have been some hold over engines, but I really don't know. The V8 could well be a swap in engine. There are other #'s above the VIN code, one will be a color code, and others will be destination and options codes that I can't decode with my reference

Re: What is this?

Well, I did find one source that shows a 'B' code - for a 2.5L GM 151 4cyl in 1980, but another source shows 'B' only from 81 up. I'm pretty sure you have a CJ5 that originally came with a 2.5L.

I'm going to try and verify that now...

EDIT: Found another book with a 'B' in 1980. It also shows a 2.5L.

Mine show the B code as an 81 offering for the GM 151 as well. However, I just found an obscure mention for the B code 1980-1986 as being a GM 151 2 bbl.

Both your book and mine seem to match, so I'm thinking we just put that question to bed.:chug:

Posting a good pik of the VIN plate would be best. CJ, do you have the decode for the dealer destination #'s and option codes???!!!!!!!!!

I do for some years - I believe that 80 is one of them. I'll have to dig out my books.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom