holley rebuild

holley rebuild

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
does anyone know a good step by step rebuild of a holley carb. i did a google search and didnt like any i found.

What model or configuration ? There is a book by holley, for the 4150/4160 series, Ive got a copy of it somewhere, they are pretty simple, not much of a manual is needed to take it apart and re-assemble.

Have you been to the holley website ?

Yea the Holley site has manuals for most of thier carbs. I downloaded one for my 670 TA a while ago.

What they all said. The holley site is real helpful.
They are easy, even I can do one.

thanks guys :chug: its a 600 cfm stock replacement one. the one that came with the rebuild kits sucks lol.

this is my first holley. my mc2100 is the first carb i rebuilt so i got some?

1. it looks like all you rebuild is the fuel bowls

2. the power valve in the kit has a spring on the end the one i took out dont.

3. so theres nothing in the main body to change just gaskets

4. the diaphrams are different

Last edited:
Once you get the fuel bowels off and metering blocks that's pretty much it other than the base plate gasket. Holleys are super simple, compared to an edelbrock, although edelbrocks really aren't that bad. Id say qjets are probably the most difficult.

Sent from my DROID2

ok the number is list-1850-3-0162 what info can i pull from this. like cfm may part # of carb. the jets have 160 on them what size is that.

Last edited:
ok the number is list-1850-3-0162 what info can i pull from this. like cfm may part # of carb.

Without looking anything up, I think you have a standard square bored 600cfm replacement 4 barrel (4160 series), probably the most common model Holley 4 barrel out there. It has side pivot bowls, not the best for "rough" four wheeling (center pivot works better when on steep inclines, not a big deal unless you get your rig way over on its side).

You might want to put vent extensions on the carb up into the air cleaner to keep gas from splashing out of the bowls. Ive run that carb on a AMC 304 for years, its a decent carb,....

Its a simple carb,, easy to take apart and re-assemble.

Attachments

• holley_0-1850C.jpg
    holley_0-1850C.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:
Without looking anything up, I think you have a standard square bored 600cfm replacement 4 barrel (4160 series), probably the most common model Holley 4 barrel out there. It has side pivot bowls, not the best for "rough" four wheeling (center pivot works better when on steep inclines, not a big deal unless you get your rig way over on its side).

You might want to put vent extensions on the carb up into the air cleaner to keep gas from splashing out of the bowls. Ive run that carb on a AMC 304 for years, its a decent carb,....

i got a 37-119 rebuild kit is this right.

From what I can tell on online catalogs, you got the right kit.

thanks i thought i looked it up right at work. wonder why the diaphram and power valve looked different hmmm.

i started tearing into it now i think the jitters are gone now. :D

what are vent extensions?

ok while i got this thing apart i got a jet? its has jets in it the say 160 i have no clue what size these are. since im just going to run this carb just off the primarys should i jet it like my mc2100 with jets 46-48.

what are vent extensions?

Just hose running up off the vent tubes of the bowls, you run them vertical into the air cleaner, up near the top of the air cleaner bolt. You tie them up on the bolt. But leave enough room for them to breathe.

I cant find a pic right now...when your bouncing around on a trail, it keeps fuel from splashing out of the bowls and down into the carb, making the motor stumble (and stink).

Just hose running up off the vent tubes of the bowls, you run them vertical into the air cleaner, up near the top of the air cleaner bolt. You tie them up on the bolt. But leave enough room for them to breathe.

I cant find a pic right now...when your bouncing around on a trail, it keeps fuel from splashing out of the bowls and down into the carb, making the motor stumble (and stink).

so you just run fuel line up them. thanks for the idea :chug:

so you just run fuel line up them. thanks for the idea :chug:
Yes, vacuum would probably work as well, its been so many years since Ive dont that, I dont remember what I used.

I missed your post about jetting, if you motor is pretty much stock, the 1850 is usually pretty well jetted, more rich than OE anyway. I dont remember any of the numbers. I sold off all my carb spare parts years ago.... and my memory just isnt what it used to be. Good luck ! :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom