Horn Contact help!

Horn Contact help!

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Hi all!

When I purchased my 1976 CJ7 jeep, it didn't have a horn or button. In fact, the ignition switch was wired to the dash and not in the column. Would any of the wise electrical people know where and how to connect my horn contact to the button? I tested with a ohmmeter and the wire connects when I push down in the middle of the column..

:poke:

Ur.. Nobody?

I attached a jumper wire from the metal horn pin button on the steering wheel cover and connected the other end of the jumper wire to the one in the column.
My horn beeped! :chug: (I wired the harness-- at least that part--correctly :eek:)

Anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a permanent jumper wire, or how to make one (permanent) for my horn?

Do they sell the jumper wires and pin terminals?

(I purchased a GM horn contact kit but it DOESN'T work. Wrong style)

:notworthy: (please help...)

I'm no wiring expert by a long shot, but since no one's answered, maybe this (factory) service manual info will help?

-Jon

PS: it's from the 1980 service manual, but there seems to be much in common from 1976 to 1980.

Your horn button is just the ground. So the horn has power all the time and when you hit your horn it just gives it the ground to work. Hope this helps in some way.

I'm no wiring expert by a long shot, but since no one's answered, maybe this (factory) service manual info will help?

-Jon

PS: it's from the 1980 service manual, but there seems to be much in common from 1976 to 1980.

Hi JDcables,

Thanks for trying. Unfortunately, I also have 3 or 4 manuals of my own. One of which is the technical service manual for the 1976 jeep cj and fsj. But none of them have pictures or are very detailed on how to connect the button to the horn contact. ---I've already hooked up the wiring in the column (turn signal switch) and the horn with relay under the hood but am having no luck in finding just the button and horn contact pieces. :(

Your horn button is just the ground. So the horn has power all the time and when you hit your horn it just gives it the ground to work. Hope this helps in some way.

Howdy MtnWhlr and thanks for your reply.

That's good to know it is just the ground. Would you know what connects between the horn button (on the steering wheel) and the horn contact on the steering column? Pictures of the horn button with the contact will speak more words than, words.. :D
Perhaps I have the wrong horn button? -It may be out of a cherokee or wagonner. Not sure though..

(PS. I had to build the entire column out of scratch since the po had the ignition switch mounted on the dash and the column was missing quite a few parts.. It also had a Grant steering wheel, no horn, no horn relay, button etc....-)
I have confirmed that the horn will beep if I jumper a wire (ground) from the horn button (on the wheel) to the horn contact pin in the column.. Perhaps that hole in the column (where you can see the horn pin) isn't supposed to be there??? So it can touch the metal when I hit the button... Thoughts? Pictures? :notworthy:

Thanks for your help! :eek:

hey 76cj7chick,
did you ever figure out your horn?

I had problems today trying to figure out mine as well.

It used to work, but I unplugged my horn a couple years ago for different reasons. Now I went to plug it back in, and the horn mechanism at the steering wheel didnt work.

I had to figure it out and now my horn works again. I took some detailed pics and was going to post them. I took a couple of the spring mechanism and plunger as well. I believe that is where your problem is.

I think I see your problem based on your second picture in your last post.

Let me know if you got it solved. I'll show you how it SHOULD look...

Brian

hey 76cj7chick,
did you ever figure out your horn?

I had problems today trying to figure out mine as well.

It used to work, but I unplugged my horn a couple years ago for different reasons. Now I went to plug it back in, and the horn mechanism at the steering wheel didnt work.

I had to figure it out and now my horn works again. I took some detailed pics and was going to post them. I took a couple of the spring mechanism and plunger as well. I believe that is where your problem is.

I think I see your problem based on your second picture in your last post.

Let me know if you got it solved. I'll show you how it SHOULD look...

Brian

Hey Brian,
I know this is A VERY old thread... But thought I'd tell you YES I figured out the horn contact... A while ago I purchased a horn cam with the spring,pin and bushing all in one piece from a 4x4 jeep junk yard, as mine didn't have a horn pin in the cam... After I replaced it I now have a HORN! :chug:

good to hear 76cj7chick....!! Most of my friends agree that I shouldnt be allowed to have a car WITH a horn... But I finally hooked up mine as well. Its nice to be heard again!

I see you're in Seattle...My sons and I are traveling to southern Cal and taking 2 weeks to drive up the PCH, etc and end up in Seattle...

Whats cool to do up there??? After San Francisco and possible heading to Yosemite for a day or two, and redwood of course, I'm kinda in the dark about what to do...

Message me...

Brian

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks