How do I find out what gears I have?

How do I find out what gears I have?

dino2000

Jeeper
Thanks
1676 CJ5 . 4 speed Transmission .

I didn't get any kind of paperwork or owners manual from the PO. Can I look it up via the VIN#? This thing only does about 60 on the open road, so i'm assuming its geared pretty low.

Thanks in Advance,

Dino

CJ arent known for their speed. what motor, Transmission and tire size, and axle?

if the rear housing has a big round diff cover its a Dana 20 .. look on the left or right of the casting and there should be a letter code stamped in the flat part of the housing. Look the letters up on the site I posted

Jeep Axle: AMC 20

thats the quick and easy way. Since its new to you and you have knowledge of the maintenance it had I would pull the rear cover, looking for the numbers stamped on the gears to get the actual gear ratio then replace the seal and fluid.

if the PO had the gears changed the casting number will be wrong.

thanks jimbo!
round diff cover is a yes. 4 speed tranny, AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with sgl bbl.
what gear oil to put back in the diff? where to get the gasket. will look it up and report back.

the gear oil depends on if you have a LSD in the rear or not. the seal is a rubber gasket. If the stamping has 2 letters then you need the LSD fluid to add to your diff. All of it can be provided by any decent auto parts stoore. you may be able to reuse the seal, its like a big oring on the AMC20 .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom