Wiring How does the blower motor get ground on a cj7. 1980. I have 12 volt on the wires. Switch works, no blower

Wiring How does the blower motor get ground on a cj7. 1980. I have 12 volt on the wires. Switch works, no blower

eberg833

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Kaiser cj-5 , buick 225 V6 odd fire /T14 1969. Dana 44/27
CJ-7 1979 AMC 258, T18 AMC20/Dana30
How does the blower motor get ground on a CJ7 . 1980. I have 12 volt on the wires. Switch works, no blower. Tried a by pas from battery. No Lucky so far.

Solution
How does the blower motor get ground on a cj7. 1980. I have 12 volt on the wires. Switch works, no blower. Tried a by pas from battery. No Lucky so far.
When I reinstalled mine, I put a self-tapping screw into the blower motor mounting flange and ran a wire from that over to one of the heater mounting studs at the firewall.

To securely ground the firewall I used two of the heater mounting studs that ran through firewall, cleaned the firewall down to metal on the engine side of the firewall, installed a stainless star washer, a stainless coupling nut, then a lock washer and bolt on the other end of the coupling nut. Ran a heavy gauge wire from the bolt on the end of the coupling nut to the negative terminal on the battery...
To ensure a good ground it is best to run a ground wire to the stud.

X2. I’ve had my CJ for 40 years. Not a rusty CJ either. Never had a ground problem until 6 weeks ago.

How does the blower motor get ground on a CJ7 . 1980. I have 12 volt on the wires. Switch works, no blower. Tried a by pas from battery. No Lucky so far.
When I reinstalled mine, I put a self-tapping screw into the blower motor mounting flange and ran a wire from that over to one of the heater mounting studs at the firewall.

To securely ground the firewall I used two of the heater mounting studs that ran through firewall, cleaned the firewall down to metal on the engine side of the firewall, installed a stainless star washer, a stainless coupling nut, then a lock washer and bolt on the other end of the coupling nut. Ran a heavy gauge wire from the bolt on the end of the coupling nut to the negative terminal on the battery.

This gives an excellent ground to the firewall directly from the battery for everything using the firewall as a ground, but also gives a good ground connection for anything else in the engine bay.

CJ7_Heater_Rebuild_39.jpg

CJ7_Heater_Rebuild_04.jpg

CJ7_Heater_Rebuild_05.jpg
If you are into the heater, you might think about upgrading the motor to a Chevy blazer motor for a very good increase in air flow.

I did a write up on the process here.

Lower Heater Restoration Link

Fresh Air Box Restoration Link

Hope this helps,
Mike

Solution

To securely ground the firewall I used two of the heater mounting studs that ran through firewall, cleaned the firewall down to metal on the engine side of the firewall, installed a stainless star washer, a stainless coupling nut, then a lock washer and bolt on the other end of the coupling nut. Ran a heavy gauge wire from the bolt on the end of the coupling nut to the negative terminal on the battery.

This gives an excellent ground to the firewall directly from the battery for everything using the firewall as a ground, but also gives a good ground connection for anything else in the engine bay.

View attachment 101333

View attachment 101334

View attachment 101335
If you are into the heater, you might think about upgrading the motor to a Chevy blazer motor for a very good increase in air flow.

I did a write up on the process here.

Lower Heater Restoration Link

Fresh Air Box Restoration Link

Hope this helps,
Mike
Thank you. Problem solved.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom