How to move Starter closer to Flywheel?

How to move Starter closer to Flywheel?

RQCinLHT

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ5 - 4.2L
I've got an issue with my starter not being close enough in to the flywheel to properly engage it when starting. The starter will spin, but you can hear it grinding against the ring gear, just not far enough in to engage it.

I've tried loosening the mounting bolts, sliding starter inward as far as bolt holes will allow, and retighten, and this works for one or two cranks until it gets moved too far away again. The engine to bellhousing is on the guide dowels, I'd just put the rebuilt motor back in a few weeks ago.

The tips of the flywheel's ring gear are worn a bit, but no teeth are missing completely. I can see on the starter gear that it's just barely glancing the ring gear.

Am I able to get a larger starter gear to correct this? Or is there another way to shim this starter close to the flywheel like it needs to be?

I've got an issue with my starter not being close enough in to the flywheel to properly engage it when starting. The starter will spin, but you can hear it grinding against the ring gear, just not far enough in to engage it.

I've tried loosening the mounting bolts, sliding starter inward as far as bolt holes will allow, and retighten, and this works for one or two cranks until it gets moved too far away again. The engine to bellhousing is on the guide dowels, I'd just put the rebuilt motor back in a few weeks ago.

The tips of the flywheel's ring gear are worn a bit, but no teeth are missing completely. I can see on the starter gear that it's just barely glancing the ring gear.

Am I able to get a larger starter gear to correct this? Or is there another way to shim this starter close to the flywheel like it needs to be?

V8 or online 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it's a good possibility that you may have the wrong starter-ring gear on the flywheel. OR-the flywheel gear is damaged.
I would first try another starter........
LG

Iirc. A 6 cyl will always stop in one of three positions. So if you have the correct starter it is possible your ring gearbis worn just enough in one or more of these spots to not engage.

There is a plethora of videos on YouTube which will explain options for moving the ring, flipping it and replacing it.

I just replaced mine because of excessive wear.

Ring gear was just over $20 plus my time not a bad deal.

It was easy to do while I was doing an engine swap.

Yours maybe more difficult.

LG makes a good comment about the potential for a wrong gear on the flywheel. What do you know about your flywheel? Did you change it or did it come with the current engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the f'wheel gear is not in the correct location or on straight.
LG

Is this a new starter? If so I think you have the wrong one.

Sorry for the delay on replying. Yes, this starter is a new reman from Autozone. I did compare it against the old one I took back. I had thought the old one was going bad, so that's the reason for the newer one. The flywheel is the same one that the jeep came with, and I never had a grinding or starting issue before. It began about two weeks after completing the rebuild of the engine.

How old is the battery?
I would also look at the solenoid as a possible issue.
LG

I'd gotten the battery new back in December, and it had been on a trickle charger during the time the motor was out. Starter solenoid is new along with the starter. Since I can't get the starter to stay engaged, I went ahead and pulled the motor back out last night. I found something interesting once it was out. The lower left hand bell housing mounting hole has a crack running down its length, extends about an inch into the bowl. The alignment dowel was crooked in it. Im not sure how well the tranny input shaft would've done on keeping things in line still, but maybe this is why the flywheel was a tad too far from the starter

WOW:eek: That is a good catch.:notworthy:
There should be 2 dowel locaterers for bellhousing alignment.
LG

I've been sidelined for a bit on fixing this dude, but I hope to get back to it in a couple weeks when i get paid. I need to research, but I wonder if someone offers a replacement bell housing, a steel one that's welded and better than this cast aluminum

Case aluminum has worked just fine for a very long time. I know it sucks and I'm sorry for being so very blunt, but the bell housing wasn't properly seated when the engine was reset in place. The bell housing bolts should never be used to attempt to draw the engine and Transmission together, even if it was a simple mistake. A bell housing crack exactly like yours is VERY common in situations like this.

Since the ring gear has been abused with a slipping starter, I'd replace the gear. You can remove it and turn the gear around, but they are actually made with a front and a back. ..... I can see it now, WHAT I KNOW HE"S WRONG." ..... The actual gears themselves are the same, in both directions, the ring gear ID is slightly beveled on the inside edge to help the install the HOT Ring gear on the COLD on the flywheel.

I hear ya, and I see what you mean. I did have a hard time getting it lined up the first time I dropped the motor in. At that time, this jeep didn't even have a good Transmission mount, so i was having to slide it around along with trying to line up the motor. Since that time, I've got the Transmission mount taken care of. It's still going to be a few more weeks till i can get back to work on this one. It looks like there's a decent amount of new bell housings out there.

I know it might sound like the wrong thing to do, but you can have it welded or better yet find a factory used one. Generally you know what you are getting with a factory bell housing. Not so with a new item.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom