I broke it

I broke it

mrsdalefan88

DaleFan88s Supreme Master
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5
I am not sure what though. It is one of the first nice days around here so we took it on a ride to go get ice cream.

When I was slowing down to stop and turn in, it sounded like the whole underneath was coming apart. Metal on metal not pretty sounding at all.

We babied it back home. Going 15mph it all sounded good, any faster or slower it sounded awful awful awful.
We stopped at one point to take another look underneath, everythong looked fine and solid, the only thing we noticed that time was when I grabbed the center drive axle thingy it spun freely.

Dalefan88 is out there now he just took the diff cover off and said the gears look good.

So let the suggestions and advice begin lol

Thanks

Ok we have got everything torn apart. Does anyone know if there is suppose to be a C clip holding the axles. We can't find one on any diagrams.
When you grab the axle spindle you can push it in and out and it moves quite a bit. We are thinking this may be the problem? When pushed in it is moving the gears over in the diff and maybe that was the god awful sound.

i think i found it. i took the hub off the driver side and it looks like the bearing seal got tore up lost all the grease and took out the bearings. i dont have a socket big enough to get the axle nut off. (guess i get to go and get some new tools tomarrow. mrsdalefan while love that.:D i need the right tools for the job.

im sure the bearings are fried. pretty sure thats the problem. i could pull the seal out with the axle nut still on.

If i remember right, It is going to be 1 3/8 socket
but to be safe get the kit that goes from 1 to 2 1/2 inches from snap-on
:rolleyes:

I wish I could go out and buy tools to do a job, but I have most the stuff between the shop and personal that I could most likely take apart anything. I think Fish is right about the socket size 1-2 1/2 you never know what you will need.

i think it is 2 1/16. i have been all over town trying to find one and no one has it:eek:. i guess it time to google.

Are you just looking for a front spindle nut wrench? I have one now but for 15 years I just used a hammer and a cold chisel... Tap off, tap on... :)

Are you just looking for a front spindle nut wrench? I have one now but for 15 years I just used a hammer and a cold chisel... Tap off, tap on... :)

thanks for the idea cj but i just order one off of jc whitney. i also got pads and rotors seals and bearings. might as well do them all since i have it all apart so i dont have to do it again for awhile.:D

Not to put 'ol JC down.... I buy lots of parts from them, but take a good look at the bearings before you put them in. Maybe it's just my luck, but I've had a couple sets of those taiwanese bearings fry on me pretty quickly. I try to use only the Timkens now. Just my .02, but doing the same job again in 2 weeks sucks.... I know. Good luck with it :)

I have to agree get good bearings (Timkin) the overseas ones suck.

Same here. Just had all the bearings in my Amc 20 replaced. Timken is the smart way to go.
Not to put 'ol JC down.... I buy lots of parts from them, but take a good look at the bearings before you put them in. Maybe it's just my luck, but I've had a couple sets of those taiwanese bearings fry on me pretty quickly.

i work at advance auto so all the pads, rotors, bearings, and seals came from there. i just got the socket from jc.

ok i got my spindle nut socket today. got everything apart. the outer bearing on the driver side is toast. it was dry and rusty. missing three rollers and the cage was in pieces. not surprized they are 30 years old and have sat through a couple of floods. the problem im having is getting the old races out. is there a trick i dint know about? any help to get it back on the road. it finally got warm here and want to take the top off and drive it.

Use a flat cold chisel to drive the races out from the back side. If you score the area around the race with chisel just clean it up after you get the race out.

i tried a scewdriver and a 3 lbs bfh and it wouldnt move. im going to have to find my chizel i guess thanks for the idea cj. should i spray them with some pb blaster.

i tried a scewdriver and a 3 lbs bfh and it wouldnt move. im going to have to find my chizel i guess thanks for the idea cj. should i spray them with some pb blaster.
The problem with a screwdriver is that the plastic on the handle gives when you strike it. The cold chisel transfers the force from the hammer directly...

Much more bang for the hit!

thanks cj that worked. got one side done now having lunch. i just love greasing bearings.:eek: not.

Glad to hear there is one down and one to go. :) Don't forget to 'force' the grease through the bearing, don't just 'rub' it on...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks