Identify That Sound and Possible Cooling Problem

Identify That Sound and Possible Cooling Problem

Coach

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 / 4.2 I-6 / Auto / Dana 30 / Dana 300 / AMC 20 / Hard Top
Alright, I'm getting a new sound when I turn left. It is coming from the drivers side rear and is a strong grinding sound. If I turn right or hit a bump, it goes away. I had this problem about a year ago, then it went away. It wasn't this loud or this obviously tied to turning.

I'm putter the Jeep in the garage until I can get to work on it some this weekend. I'm having some strange issues with the cooling system again too today. I think the PO used some of the sealant in the leaking radiator, since it will leak one day and not the next. Then there was the strange sound today from under the hood, a hissing type sound when I would accelerate around 50mpg. I was wondering if solids were getting in the water pump or something.

I'm planning an engine swap in about 6 months and I'm trying to avoid dropping to much money into the CJ until then. I'm thinking I need to swap in a new radiator, since mine seems to be full of leaks off and on and could be a source of the junk flowing through my system.

So, has anyone ever had something that sounds like either issue? I'm planning to put the rear on jack stands this weekend and see if anything feels loose or if I can recreate the sound without driving. Then pull my rear wheels off and check on the brakes and find out if I have solid rear axles or not.

Then I will start trouble shooting my cooling system issue. I would like to avoid dropping in a new radiator and water pump, but that is where I am leaning right now. Probably do the radiator first, since I know it has leaking issues anyway. Then move towards the water pump if I'm still having issues.

Thanks,
Coach

A grinding sound is usually a bearing gone bad.

coach, do you have a coolant system pressure tester? if not, may be able to get a loaner at a parts store. you hook it on the radiator at the cap, pump it up. it has a gauge, pump it to 12-14 lbs. your cooling system is designed to hold pressure...if it has a leak under pressure, youll see it. you might can pick up a used radiator at a junk yard to get by til you do your swap or get yours cleaned, rodded out and plugged if not in too bad a condition. you might see more than one leak depending on how bad the leaks are...in other words, you may see leaks from the radiator and water pump and/or heater core, or just hoses. you def will need to fix the radiator then recheck the system for any other leaks. do you have a fan clutch or solid fan? fan clutch bad, wont "lock up" to pull air. solid fan will always pull air but rob you of a little power. electric fans are ok, but myself dont care for them...thats just me though. take your fan (vehicle off of course) and grab the blades like at 3 and 9 oclock and try wiggling it. shouldnt move, if so, bad water pump bearing-replace. finally at the rear, check your u-joints, pull the tire and check the brake componets, check for any leaking gear oil and work your way to checking axle to the pumpkin and gears. kinda long, but hope that gets you started. just start simple and work your way thru it....good luck

Alright, I'm getting a new sound when I turn left. It is coming from the drivers side rear and is a strong grinding sound. If I turn right or hit a bump, it goes away

A grinding sound is usually a bearing gone bad.

I agree with Old Dog. I would guess the wheel bearing is bad. There is too much free play in the bearing. When you go around a turn it pulls the wheel out or pushes it in a fraction of an inch and causes the noise to start or stop.

I agree with Old Dog. I would guess the wheel bearing is bad. There is too much free play in the bearing. When you go around a turn it pulls the wheel out or pushes it in a fraction of an inch and causes the noise to start or stop.

So if it is the bearings, then I will be replacing it when I put in solid read shafts.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Coach

Alright, this could be a dumb question, but if it is bearings, can I still drive it around town? At most I'm looking at 6-7 miles each way to work. I'm ordering the replacement shafts, but would like to drive in the mean time.

Thanks,
Coach

I wouldn't chance it, when the bearing goes it could take
the race and the inside of the housing with it.:(

I wouldn't chance it, when the bearing goes it could take
the race and the inside of the housing with it.:(

Dang! I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but figured it wouldn't be good to drive it. Now I will be trying to calmly discuss with the wife about why I "need" to order some solid axle shafts to fix this problem. :)

Thanks,
Coach

Dang! Now I will be trying to calmly discuss with the wife about why I "need" to order some solid axle shafts to fix this problem. :)

Thanks,
Coach

LOL its always better to tell them you need it, rather than just, you want it. :D

Need some help, on the Moser instructions, step 9, it state to use a press to put the bearing and press ring on the axle. Is this something I could do or would I need a shop to do it? It's the only part of the process I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks,
Coach

Need some help, on the Moser instructions, step 9, it state to use a press to put the bearing and press ring on the axle. Is this something I could do or would I need a shop to do it? It's the only part of the process I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks,
Coach
I just use a pipe and a small sledge to drive the ring on the axle. Hack saw is for size reference only.

4469d1296314627-brake-drum-removal-pipe.jpg

I just use a pipe and a small sledge to drive the ring on the axle. Hack saw is for size reference only.

4469d1296314627-brake-drum-removal-pipe.jpg

Cool, that makes sense. That was the only thing that had me a little worried. Usually between myself and my TJ-driving buddy that always helps me, I think we can do this.

On an even better note, I had an opportunity to make $300 fall in my lap for next weekend, so now I just have to get the wife on board (since she will be home alone with the kids while I work) and make the order. :)

Thanks,
Coach

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom