Identifying Drivetrain Components

Identifying Drivetrain Components

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
Okay, so I've probably got a stupid question, but here it goes anyway...How do I identify what model of Transmission , front differential, and rear differential in my '86 Jeep CJ?

I know that Transfer Case is the Dana 300 , and that only certain transmissions were mated to it. My tranny is a standard 4 speed (i.e., no granny low gear). I'm thinking it could be the T-176 , but I don't know for sure.

As far as the differntials go, I really have no idea how to figure it out. It is my understanding that the Jeep could have one of two front diffs (Dana 30A or Dana 44 ), and the rear has like three different possibilities (Dana 44 , Dana 35, or AMC20 ).

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

IF the diffs. are stock they will be a Dana 30 in the front, and the AMC20 in the rear.
Oh wait I see you have a 86 it could be a Dana 44 . If the cover is round with 12 bolts it's a 20.

Thanks! I think the rear is the AMC20 because it is round.

I thought there were also a couple different options for the front diff, but I could be wrong about that. Are there any stamped markings or anything else that would tell me for sure?

How about the tranny?

an easy way to id the tranny is the shifter if it has one bend then comes straight up it should be the T-176 , if it is sorta "s" shaped it should be the T-4 , now it could be something else if a PO done a tranny swap then the only way to know for sure is to run the #s on the tranny. also the sides of the T-176 will be fairly smooth and the T-4 will have ribs on the side. here is some pics and info on all jeep transmissions
Jeeptech.com's Jeep Transmission Page

Thanks! The Transmission shifter basically comes straight up, with just a slight bend, so it's very likely the T-176 .

Here's another stupid question...Does anyone have a good technique for refilling the tranny and Transfer Case without banging the funnel/oil bottle up against the bottom of the body and/or spilling it all over myself?

~~~ Does anyone have a good technique for refilling the tranny and Transfer Case without banging the funnel/oil bottle up against the bottom of the body and/or spilling it all over myself?
DSCN0269.jpg

diff1dw6.jpg

IMG_4369.png

DSCF2068.jpg

There is a hand pump you can buy at the parts house that fits the 1 gallon gear lube bottle . you can set the bottle on the ground and put the hose in the fill hole and pump untill it runs out of the hole.:cool:

the third picture is pretty close to what I use. The air pressure bottle idea is interesting.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good technique for refilling the tranny and Transfer Case without banging the funnel/oil bottle up against the bottom of the body and/or spilling it all over myself?

I do like the last pic. above, I jamb a clear plastic tube on the spout.

The only front diff offered was the 30.

My T-19 has a nifty filler hole.
I just pull out the shifter & pour in the oil.:laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom