Idle problems

Idle problems

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
Got her thru DE state inspection today. Failed 1st go round, no brake lights, (blown fuse) & gas tank cap was bad. When I left the house to go back for a reinspect, every time I stopped she would idle a minute or so, then die. Idle is set @ 650 rpm. I cleaned the carb last night with 1 & 1/2 cans of 2+2. I changed the air & breather filters for the inspection today. I haven't changed the fuel filter as it looks new, (the old air filter may have been new, but I changed it anyway). I tagged her "antique". I wanted a vanity tag that read "Ole Fart", but the DMV wouldn't do it.
Any ideas on the idle problem?
Thanks folks!

Last edited:
What kind of carb.? If it is the original it might be time for a re-build. Cleaning it out could of got some gunk stuck.... Make sure you didn't knock a vaccum line off.
If it is still original and you can afford to replace it, take it out, run it over a couple of times and go buy a weber. I am waiting to do that one of these days.

Like the Mrs. said, Prolly junk stuck in the passages, could need a rebuild, could possibly be a fuel filter. Just because It looks new means nothing, It's about impossible to tell when they're blocked. Check to be sure you havn't knocked off a vac line someplace, and The best advice was to throw it in the crapper and bite the bullit on a Webber. I have nothing even remotely bad to say about mine. I got better responce, torque, and seat of the pants horses and driveability right out of the box.

i think mrsdalefan has leart her something from me and all these great cj web sites.:D

Thinking back, it could be a bad EGR valve as well. But I would give those idle tubes a good reaming out before anything. Yhey're notorious for gettin :dung: stuck in them. You can give them a little "tune up" with a welding tip file / cleaner

She was running about 2000 rpms while I was cleaning the carb. Carb is a Carter BDD. The air pump, etc. has all been removed by PO. What's the difference between a Weber & MC2100?

Last edited:
Momma & I took the 5 for a little spin last nite. Idle is still a problem, but several times when starting out, the engine stalled, then sounded like it was running backwards. I noticed smoke, (?) coming out from under the hood. She would always start back up, sometimes it took more cranking that other times. I hammered on her from a dead stop going down the highway, shifting @ 3,000 roms. on the topside of second gear, the engine acted like it was breaking down. Ran fine, (other than the idle problem), after I parked & ate. Wouldn't idle after we got home. I adjusted the idle up to 800 rpms & she idled fine in the driveway.

You got a carter see my above post.
Also clean out the float bowl and the little valve that's in the end of the fuel line that the float touches.

It'll idle like a brand new carb for a bit. Mine does this when ever I run it low in the tank, me thinks I have :dung: in the tank.

The MC2100 is the carb of choice from what I here, good easy to tune and reliable offroad.

Me I'm doing the junkyard TBI swap which is stupid easy.

Cleaned the carb like Brock said. Everything I took out was clean & open. I didn't remove the top of the carb. 5 is still stalling sometimes & the idle doesn't stay the same. Sometimes 600, then 1000, then 800, then 1000, then 600 again. Could there be a problem w/ the computer as all the pollution equipment has been removed?

Besides the link posted above the only thing would be to clean the float bowl and that valve the float touches, might want to check it for adjustment and leaks also(the float).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom