intake gaskets again

intake gaskets again

Cheepjeep85

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7, 258, t-176, D300, AMC20, D30
well for the second time, im having to put intake gaskets on my jeep. anybody got any suggestions to keep the damn things from leaking. i done this well over a year ago. bought the felpro gasket set which comes with separate intake and exhaust gaskets. when i built my motor there was only one gasket for both, factory setup, i assume no one had it apart before then.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Intake-and-Exhaust-Manifold-Gasket-Set-Felpro_5783887-P_873_R|GRPGASKAMS_966104502___#fragment-3

Have your manifolds trued at a machine shop.

i was thinkin that but wasn't for sure where to get it done, or if it could be done. think i'm going to have to get another carb adapter, the mr. gasket 1937 seems to be leaking to. anybody know the trw part # from summit to adapt the carter to a mc2100. what do you think it would cost? i normally use quality cylinder head in ft. oglethorpe for everything else but i'm not sure they have the epuipment to do that.

Last edited:
Have your manifolds trued at a machine shop.
This is probably your best bet if you suspect a recurring problem. shouldnt cost that much. Less then replacing gaskets over and over :(

got a price today $40 ain't to bad, the machine shop i normally use for everything else can handle it, they said if i dropped it off in the morn they could have it done tomorrow which is good. got to get it back on the road, can't drive the wife's after today.

i replaced the carb adapter gaskets, sunday and noticed the intake bolts were a little loose, not bad enough to cause a leak i wouldn't think. what's the suggestion on using thread locker on em, haven't had this problem before with an intake.

got her fixed, runs better than ever. turns out there was nothing wrong with the intake manifold, put new gaskets in with a little silicone. the major problem was the mr. gasket adapter plate, i never thought about it before but there are two recesses in the top of the plate about 1/8" deep with part #s and logo in em, they were causing the biggest problem, probably been leaking ever since i put the mc2100 on. i filled them with jb weld and filed it flat, perfect seal.

got her fixed, runs better than ever. turns out there was nothing wrong with the intake manifold, put new gaskets in with a little silicone. the major problem was the mr. gasket adapter plate, i never thought about it before but there are two recesses in the top of the plate about 1/8" deep with part #s and logo in em, they were causing the biggest problem, probably been leaking ever since i put the mc2100 on. i filled them with jb weld and filed it flat, perfect seal.

Now that was a good observation and fix. Hats off to you for finding and fixing a serious problem. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom