Intake manifold ?

Intake manifold ?

Old Dog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line
When I took My intake off my 350 for what I believe to be a vac. leak I found oil in the exaust crossover passage. I've never seen this before. Where in the :censored: could it have came from? When I look in at the exaust valve it looks like it's burning with a ash white color to them.

Bad valve guide? :confused:

Old dog,

That's a new one on me but I would suspect a leak in the intake manifold gasket is allowing oil from the lifter valley to be pulled into that area of the manifold.

Worn valve guides usually cause blue smoke to occur when an engine is first started, unlike worn rings which cause blue smoke to occur at any time the engine is running, but particularly when under acceleration.

Y

the way I see it, it can't be bad valve seals or guides. Looking into the exaust crossover ports the valves and the runners show no sign of oil.
I had blockoff plates in the intake so no oil got in the heads through the gasket.
It might have came from the valley, but there would be pressure not vac. from the exaust (if the gasket was leaking).There is no vac. in that part of the intake,(unless it's cracked :eek:) so how did it suck oil in.
or did I just answer my own question :eek:

Perhaps "pulled" was a poor choice of words, maybe "weeped" or by "capillary action" would have been a better descriptor. Nevertheless, I would suspect a poor seal between that manifold and the lifter valley. If you figure it out, I sure would be interested in the diagnosis.

Yleefox

I did have a vac. leak at #6 cly., thats what started this whole thing.
#6 is right next to the heat passage, so who knows.
The only problem is I'll never know till I have to pull the intake again.:D

Good point. Hopefully once u get it back together u won't have to take it apart again for while at least.

Yleefox

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom