Is the gear oil supposed to be the consistency of pancake batter?

Is the gear oil supposed to be the consistency of pancake batter?

derf

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas4spd/D44/9" - In Progress
1984 GW - 360/TF727/NP229/D44/M23 - NP242 swap in progress
1986 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208/D44/D60 - 700R4 upgrade in the works
So I got to tearing down my "new" Dana 300 that I got for my CJ project.

After the several cups of water poured out, the remaining gear oil glopped out like pancake batter. It was not exactly pleasant. But it wasn't so bad. The case is still in fine shape. Since I'm doing the LoMax 4:1 along with their upgraded front and rear output shaft, as well as an Advance Adapters 27 spline input shaft to go with a 4L60E, I'm replacing every single bearing and seal anyway. So I guess when the needle bearings for the center gear went rolling all over the shop (including some under the shelves) I'm not too worried.

In all it was a good day. I got to buy new tools and I got to use my 20 ton press. I got to hang out in the garage in jeans and a t-shirt playing with my toys. :cool:

I warned you that the fluid didn't look good, and the case was froze up! LOL Now we know why!
If you weren't going to just use the case, I'd offer a refund. I don't like selling things in that condition, which is why it didn't go to that other guy...

I'm glad the deal worked out for both of us anyways, and it was nice to finally meet you face to face! :)
Keep up the work on that monster you have in the garage! Its going to be a BEAST! :) We might get them running about the same time! :laugh: then we can go wheelin!

No worries. The only real problem with the case was the bearings in the tail housing. Even if I wasn't going to replace the tail shaft all I would have to do is swap out the bearings and it would be just fine.

You mean that's not normal? I occasionally keep pancake batter in my diffs too.

I heard people from Oklahoma have resorted to keeping there Bologna sandwiches in there. My best guess is your guy couldnt hold out for lunch and didnt want to skip breakfast , the most important meal of the day. :D

I heard people from Oklahoma have resorted to keeping there Bologna sandwiches in there. My best guess is your guy couldnt hold out for lunch and didnt want to skip breakfast , the most important meal of the day. :D

I was really hungry, ok? I just wanted a sandwich. I don't know why people are making such a big deal about it... ;)

Dammitt!I knew I left my breakfast somewhere! :laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom