is this normal?

is this normal?

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
my 78 CJ5 has so much torque that it drives normal starting off in second. it has too much power in first. do these old straight 6's have that much power or do yal think it has been regeared or something?

What tranny and what axle ratio??:cool:

im not sure i havent had it but a few days... but its the tranny with the reverse thats over and up

Does the shift knob look like this?

T18aShiftKnob002.jpg

If so, then you probably have a T-18 transmission. Follow the link to the Novak Adapters site, there's good info in there on the Transmission . I have a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /T-18 combo and yes, I pretty much drive it like a 3 speed. Because 1st gear is unsynchronized it makes it difficult to start in 1st and shift up to 2nd and all but impossible to shift from 2nd down to 1st. But with 1st gear being 6.32:1, it'll go on it's own without touching the throttle.

how the hell is it that you guys just "get T-18 trannies!:mad:

Kick, jeeps are made for the dirt, not the road, the lower the gear ratio the better
if you can take off in 2nd, you have a good thing as it will crawl wasier and stall less off the road.

you did good. but I would guess it's a 4:1 rather than a 6:1. still a pretty cool thing.:cool:

Kick, jeeps are made for the dirt, not the road, the lower the gear ratio the better
if you can take off in 2nd, you have a good thing as it will crawl wasier and stall less off the road.

yea i know.. but all i have had is normal Jeeps, Samurais, and a 4x4 Mazda and i have driven all of them off road only... never anything with a gear ratio like this though

yea i know.. but all i have had is normal Jeeps, Samurais, and a 4x4 Mazda and i have driven all of them off road only... never anything with a gear ratio like this though
well now,the harder it gets the more you will enjoy it. Happy trails
and by the way
Just Good Trails

Damn, my 79' had the T-18 in it stock- I was young and stupid and beat the snot out of it and sold it for almost nothing- If I could turn back the hands of time:rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom