Jeep 304 stalling out warm.

Jeep 304 stalling out warm.

k5mma

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 304 4spd, T-18, Dana 30, AMC 20, Hard Top, Steel Doors

1979 CJ7 Renegade 6cyl 3 spd All Original, Soft Top/Doors, Paint: Sable Brown Metallic
1979 CJ7 AMC 304 , 2bbl MC Carb. Parts replaced, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, plug wires. Rebuilt Carb, flushed fuel tank, blew out fuel lines. Timing set to 10° advanced. Issue is Jeep runs through normal warm up time 5-7 minutes. Idles fine. Engine runs smooth. Ohms resistance is good on all points. Vacuum lines replaced. Running vacuum advance and Pcv only. All and warm air choke lines off intake. Fuel tanks breather lines blocked off. So here's the issue. When taking off from a stop, shifting up to 2,3,4 or slowing to a stop the Jeep stalls down until the rpms come up. Sometimes dies when slowing to a stop. I've went through the fuel and vacuum to check for low fuel delivery and leaks. Nothing found. Not sure What else it could be unless I blew the power valve, ignition or tuning of Carb is off. Or a miss adjustment of the valves. Any ideas?

I am anything but an expert on this -- but I had similar stalling issues (mine is on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l w/ MC2100).

Turned out that the butterflies were loose as the result of the choke spring not being set. It was hard to tell just looking at it.

They would either rattle shut as I ran down the road and stall out the engine -- or slap shut from the physics of stopping, and stall out the engine.

Just a guess.... :confused:

Cheers, :chug:
TrebleHook

Well it seems my freshly rebuilt Carb is not getting fuel on the passenger side.

The solution was simple. The power valve was faulty and the timing just needed to be advanced to 15° static and this resolved all of my issues.

The solution was simple. The power valve was faulty and the timing just needed to be advanced to 15° static and this resolved all of my issues.

Congrats! I am learning that it is usually something relatively simple. It's identifying it that is the hard part. Glad you're up and running.

Cheers, :chug:
TrebleHook

Yeah that's typically the case with any vehicle was just I knew it had been sitting for three years so was taking More time going through each system since there was other things also in need of replacement. Now its onto the body work

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom