Jeep Rubicon Axles into CJ7

Jeep Rubicon Axles into CJ7

j0114

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 Laredo Black
The Jeep was totally gone thru, 124k original miles on body,
New Crate engine and Trans, Weber Carb, Interior replaced back to stock, Dana 44 Rear, Dana 35 Front, 2.5 " Suspension Lift 1" body 33-12.50 Tires on Mickey Thompson Wheels, New Dupont Paint
I apologize in advance if this has been covered,
I have access to some jeep rubicon axles out of an 04 i believe i know its not newer than an 05,
It has the axles even complete with disc brakes and the stock compressor needed for the lockers,
I have an 86 CJ7 , would this be an easy swap, I mean i know any fr and rr axle swap would not be classified as easy but some are lots easier than others,
Just wanted to know if it was possible and difficulty rating,
I can get the parts for A very good price so that makes it enticing to me

I dont know alot on this subject but I think the TC would have to be swapped also or rotated around some how. If im not mistaken the TJs pumpkin is on the drivers side and the CJs pumpkin is on the passenger side. The TJ has coil springs where the CJ is set up on leaf springs also. Not sayin it cant be done but I dont think it will be very easy or cheap. Like I said im no jeep expert, but there is alot of guys on here that know alot. Im sure they will chime in and correct me if im wrong :chug:

Can you weld? If not, do you have a decent shop nearby?

To get them actually mounted, you'd just need to cut off all the tj suspension bracketry, down to just the tubes ans weld on a set of leaf spring perches on each. I'm sure a halfway competent shop could cut, measure, and weld anything you couldn't pretty cheap.

Next, you'd flip your Dana 300 using a clocking ring like the one from Novak, and mod the shifter according to their directions. (a cable shift setup would be sweet here!)

finally, getting the d-shafts modified to fit, and plumbing the brakes, and you're golden!

Oh, and new wheels, too!

I think I would give a lot of consideration to using the rear axle but not sure I would go to the trouble of using the front. My $.02.:cool:

It would be a nice axle swap to get the lockers and gears and discs however as the others point out you will have to either flip the pumpkin to a pass drop or flip your Transfer Case upside down or even swap to a driver drop Transfer Case

unless they are really cheap, like $100 each, I'd pass. Your going to spend some coin to make them work.

Thanks for all the replies, one thing my Jeep is very stock besides a 2.5 in lift so i kind of hated to get away from factory options for my CJ,

As for some of the questions, Yes I have a shop to do it in, yes I can Weld Im not an expert but I was into samurai 's at one time and i installed my own spring over and many other mods to it that needed welded, and I welded in a new door striker for my cousin on his Land cruiser so I think I could handle the welding part.
Yes they are cheap, I could get the Transfer Case from it also if it was needed.
Anyways I think I am going to get them as they are a valuable item to TJ owners, They are just too cheap to pass up.
Im actually trading something for them as opposed to buying them, I dont want to say too much, they are not stolen or anything illegal so i dont want people thinking that.

I agree the rear was the main attraction but i had an 04 Rubicon and those are nice axles and Dana 44 Fr and RR is not a bad setup at all, very reliable in my opinion.

I attached a shot of my jeep , Its not the most current but its handy,
Its usually hard top and doors and its got the Laredo oem stripe kit now in silver,
thanks again guys

if you get the Transfer Case , depending what gear box you have now could work nicely the rubbicon Transfer Case does have 4:1

Still up for drive shafts and adapting the rubbi Transfer Case to your gear box

Dont forget all the little bits like shifters and x-member mounts etc

Do-able but not in the easy category

thx guys, I was a fully sponsored atv racer so im trading some used sponsored parts off a race quad for the axles and parts so Ill have $0 in them but i could sell the parts on thiefbay and make money so i dont see it as getting them as free but i think Im going to go ahead and get them and put them in my shop,
I got some things more important on the jeep to handle first,
but If nothing else i dont think id have problems selling them to another jeeper if i decide not to keep them,
if I put them in Ill do a detailed write up install to post so others will know which way i went about doing it to help others if they decide to try it as well

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom