jeep starts hard every morning after sitting

jeep starts hard every morning after sitting

rweide 86cj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86' CJ 7, 258 I6, pretty much all stock as of right now
I am fairly new to the Jeep world and bought a 1986 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6. the issue i am having is every morning i go to start the jeep, the thing cranks and cranks and cranks for about a minute before it pops off, then dies, and when i turn it over again it acts like its starved of fuel. It acts VERY VERY cold blooded even on warm days when its 70-80 degrees. I had one person tell me the mechanical fuel pumps dont have a check valve in them to keep fuel at the carb, but could this be the issue with it starting hard the first time. after the first time it starts for the day it seems to pop off fine the rest of the day.

any help would be great- and i have about a million questions on mod'ing the thing. its 90% stock with a brand new set of 31'' tires and new rims on it. plan is to get a nice paint job and lift on it sooner rather than later. Will post pics soon.

I would make sure your choke is working properly first, then check to see if your fuel filter, if it is the three teet type, is rotated with e teet to the carburator is on top, then go for the fuel pump. Most likely it is the fule pump, but the other checks can't hurt.

i am not familiar with the whole engine or fuel system on the jeep yet- fairly new to it. but what am i looking for on the choke? open, closed, manual, automatic? and thats is the teet? sorry for being uneducated on this. but i am not sure what i am looking for yet.

Your Jeeps carb is well known amongst Jeepers to be problematic. Your going to have the computer controlled carter bbd if its stock. It can be a very cranky system. There are a few different ways to correct this problem. Ive seen a few write up on rebuilding and cleaning up the venturi's. Hers a link to some info that may be helpful

Carb Help - JeepForum.com

Personally I get rid of them and switch to a Mc2100 style caarb from a ford and use the adapter plate from Summit. If you use the search option and type those words in it'll bring up info on that swap.

If you have the bucks switch to e.f.i. and live life to the fullest. :D

I am fairly new to the Jeep world and bought a 1986 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6. the issue i am having is every morning i go to start the jeep, the thing cranks and cranks and cranks for about a minute before it pops off, then dies, and when i turn it over again it acts like its starved of fuel. It acts VERY VERY cold blooded even on warm days when its 70-80 degrees. I had one person tell me the mechanical fuel pumps dont have a check valve in them to keep fuel at the carb, but could this be the issue with it starting hard the first time. after the first time it starts for the day it seems to pop off fine the rest of the day.

any help would be great- and i have about a million questions on mod'ing the thing. its 90% stock with a brand new set of 31'' tires and new rims on it. plan is to get a nice paint job and lift on it sooner rather than later. Will post pics soon.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom