jeep wont idle when hot.

jeep wont idle when hot.

aquafreshman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 jeep cj5, 304 v8, holly 4412s carb, Borg and Warner t150, dana 20 transfer case, stock axles. bone stock.
I have a 1979 jeep CJ5 , bone stock with an amc v8, and a holley 4412 carb. when I start it up at first it runs just fine but when it gets warmed up it stalls. I have all the vacuum lines plugged and the timing is spot on. I was just wondering if it was the curb idle, or the fuel to air mixture screws.

What is the engine temp when it stalls? When I ran a carb on my 401 it was always vapor locking the carb and fuel lines in the engine compartment.

It could be the air fuel mixture. Have you checked tthe choke to see if it is opening up when it warms up? Macke sure you have the vaccum advance plugged into the correct port on the carb.

What is the engine temp when it stalls? When I ran a carb on my 401 it was always vapor locking the carb and fuel lines in the engine compartment.

the engine doesn't even get half way on the temperature gauge. so I don't think it's vapor locking the carb or the fuel lines. besides, when I touch the lines they are all cool.

It could be the air fuel mixture. Have you checked tthe choke to see if it is opening up when it warms up? Macke sure you have the vaccum advance plugged into the correct port on the carb.

I have gone onto the holly website and looked up the specs for my carb. it says that a good starting point is to turn the screws in all the way and then turn them out three half turns. it is a manual choke and i don't even need the choke when I start it cold. just give it a little bit of gas and it fires right up. I was looking it over yesterday and found out that my distributer is not plugged into the distributor advance but a full manifold vacuum. witch one should it be plugged into.

Could it be the idle speed?
My AMC 304 idles fast until it warms up.

thanks for all the help everyone. I got it fixed. I had the vacuum advance hooked up to a full manifold vacuum, instead of the spark vacuum advance port. also one of the jets was running too lean.

:notworthy: thanks everyone.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom