Jeep wont shut off

Jeep wont shut off

Pchaloux

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a 83 CJ8 with a AMC 304 and a standard tranny, It wont shut off with the key, I can take the key out and it still runs. does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

First things first. Welcome to the board. There have to be a half a dozen or so others from CT here.

On to your question. I think it could be your ignition cylinder. I think that's where I would start.

Again, welcome to the board :booze:

Has anything been modified or replaced recently? When did this problem start?
How does it run when you pull the key? just like normal, or does it just run on kinda hit/miss?

The jeep had been in storage for the past 4 years, I started to drive it about two weeks ago, and it was starting and turning off fine. it seems to be running fine, a little ruff but I dont have a tach to tell what the rpm is. the last time I drove it a good distance it did take a min to start after being sut off for about 20min.

First things first. Welcome to the board. There have to be a half a dozen or so others from CT here.

On to your question. I think it could be your ignition cylinder. I think that's where I would start.

Again, welcome to the board :booze:

X2:chug:

Well, I'm not the guy to ask about electrical problems, but Seeing as there have been no recent mods done to your Jeep, Try checking your ignition switch, It's bolted onto the column under the dash. The ignition wire harness will be clipped into it, and a steel rod that runs up into the column. It's the steel rod that moves when the key is turned, and indexes contacts in the ignition switch. I have seen a few fail and cause starting issues, or stopping issues as well. It's an easy part to pull and replace, and only costs about 15 bucks.

Update,

When the jeep is cold it shuts off, when it has run for a while it stays running, today I took it for a short drive and it stayed running for about 15sec. the temp says it is running about 170 It does not sound like its dieseling but that is all I can think of. it has some old fuel in it I am trying to run through, I think that is the reason it is not running smooth. could it be a tuneup issue?
Thanks for any help.
:confused:

First thing I would check is if there is 12v going to the hot side of the coil when it keeps running. If so, your getting voltage from some where, still most likely the ign. switch.

Do you have a meter or a test light you can verify the voltage?

yup sounds like the ign switch relay is getting hot and not disrupting the current and letting you shut down. but I just babble at times.

Check the connections on the alt. if they are corroded sometimes it'll keep the jeep running when warm. Remove the connectors one at a time and clean the ends on the alt and where it grounds, so clean both ends.
Same with dist. and coil.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks