Kicking oil out the diff. vent (AMC 20)

Kicking oil out the diff. vent (AMC 20)

Wildthing

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj7 AMC 258 t-5 transmission Dana 300 Dana 30 AMC 20, 1986 cj7 AMC 360 TF 727 Dana 300 Dana 30 AMC 20
I've changed the angle of the differential due to the changing of the Transmission and lift of the vehicle. Now the gear oil is being pumped out of the vent. If I lower the oil level I run the risk of not having enough oil on the pinion gear. Any suggestions?

Do you have a vent tube on the vent, and your pumping oil through the vent tube itself ? I think one of the other members mentioned a vent reservoir on the other thread ?

Last edited:
Yes, there is a vent tube .... in fact it has been extended to up behind the rear bumper. The reservoir my be an idea to try! I guess this is not a unique problem!
Thanks

I'd really like to know what angle the pinion is. Can you measure it for us? Pumping fluid out means it might be cranked too much.

I had the same problem and the vent tube would clog with oil and then blow out the seals on the end of axle which would soak my brake shoes. I had my axles angled up as well for a three inch lift and a CV drive shaft on a CJ5 . I lowered the oil level and so far so good for 15 years of driving and one cross country trip. I keep the level at my fingertip when I put my finger in the fill hole and bend it down on the first knuckle. Basically that is about 3/4 inch below the fill hole. Problem gone.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom