Later Model Exhaust

Later Model Exhaust

geezerjeeper

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5 Renegade-258cid w-tilt / pwr steering / manual brakes / Team Rush ignition upgrade.
I am planning to install the Howell TBI kit in the next few weeks. Instead of cutting a hole in the exhaust piping for the O2 sensor, I would like to use a later model exhaust manifold with the O2 sensor hole. Does anyone know if it's simply a bolt-on deal with my 1980 CJ5 ? The two manifolds are definitely different because mine currently has the air pump connections and no O2 sensor while the later model doesn't have an air pump but does have the O2 sensor hole. The manifolds currently on my jeep look like they're bolted together just below the carb. I thought they were supposed to be separated on the 258cid??? Am I seeing this wrong??

later model covers a lot. what year manifold are you planning on using ??

I am planning to install the Howell TBI kit in the next few weeks. Instead of cutting a hole in the exhaust piping for the O2 sensor, I would like to use a later model exhaust manifold with the O2 sensor hole. Does anyone know if it's simply a bolt-on deal with my 1980 CJ5 ? The two manifolds are definitely different because mine currently has the air pump connections and no O2 sensor while the later model doesn't have an air pump but does have the O2 sensor hole. The manifolds currently on my jeep look like they're bolted together just below the carb. I thought they were supposed to be separated on the 258cid??? Am I seeing this wrong??

I looked up pricing and pics for a '84 CJ7 258cid but I think anything after '83 used the O2 sensor and didn't have the air pump stuff. I like the fact that I'd be getting rid of the air pump connections instead of just plugging them and the O2 sensor on the manifold seems a bit more robust than just a bung welded on the exhaust collector. I don't know if everything or anything after my '80 will interchange.

I picked up a bung from napa and just had it welded in at a local shop the guy didn't even charge me. Worked fine and it's not like the O2 sensor stresses the exhaust/bung so no worries on it failing.

All roads lead to another road.

this would seem like the best time to do a 4.0 head conversion and go with headers with a bung.

Yea, I know I'm being a little anal about it but I really wanted to get away from plugging the air pump connections. It would help prevent confusion at the local inspection station. One advantage I did think of for keeping it on the "pipe" is that I may decide to go with headers at some point in the future and it would have to be relocated there anyway.

Sorry IO, I was replying to Brock when your post came in. I thought about the 4.0 head but I was hoping that the Howell TBI would buy me close to that level of hp using the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l head. I really hadn't planned on going this far so soon but if this is going to be a daily driver I need to be able to start it in any weather/temp/time of day without going through some ancient jeep ritual for what seems like an eternity (10 - 20 seconds real time), each time I need to use it.

I have been considering this Howell kit for my 83 CJ7 . I am going to subscribe to this thread, please keep it updated with pics and how you like this kit. I have been told it is pretty straight forward and a great upgrade to the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I am using mine in high altitude in CO., so this seems to be just what I need. Did you buy the kit new? Who from? Price good? Thanks for starting this thread, I hope you love the kit, keep us informed and good luck....Thanks....Jeff

OK CJ man,
I'll try and keep you updated. I haven't shopped around yet for best price. My jeep fund is due for a cash infusion in the next week or two:). I had hoped to be spending it on body work and paint but the mechanical stuff has to be right first.

Consider AFI affordable fuel injection also when looking.

Basically the system is a throttlebody, harness, computer and a few sensors.
I built mine for my CJ for around $300, I pulled a throttlebody from an s-10, with the harness, sensors and computer. I bought some sensors new and switched to and electric fuel pump.

If you want to keep the budget low but not get crazy like me, call up AFI and order a harness and a chip for the computer, then pull a throttlebody from the junkyard and rebuild it, it's stupid easy, pull the computer from the yard also. Then buy the sensors from who ever has it the cheapest, usually autozone.
Then your install will be more like $600-700 depending on new parts bought.

The new chip for the computer is tuned so it runs the very best, but a stock computer/chip will run better than your old carb'd jeep ever did.

For more info hit up this link and look for TBI stuff or wiring:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/useful-info-thought-id-share-665/

Last edited:
Thanks Again Brock but I have to make sure this is totally emissions legal. From what I can tell I have only two choices: the Howell TBI kit or the Mopar MPI kit. As much as I would like to do the Mopar kit for the claimed increase in hp/torque, the cost is just a little out of reach if I'm going to get this thing on the road anytime soon.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom