leaky dana 300

leaky dana 300

tphin

Jeeper
Thanks
have an 83 cj that has developed a leak in the Transfer Case ,not sure from where yet. was wondering what you guys run for fluid in these so i will know what to refill it with when i find the problem,think its leaking from the rear but its hard to tell

I've seen people run everything from 50 weight motoroil to 140 weight gear oil.
I'm pretty sure the book calls for 80-90 gear oil.

As the saying goes "Real Jeeps don't leak, they mark their territory"!:rolleyes:

85W-90 (or 80W-90)

If the TCase has never been rebuilt then my guess is you are leaking from the rear output seal. I say that because it's a wear item. The seals on the plates don't usually leak suddenly with age. If I am correct then you will need to remove the rear yoke to replace the seal. Not too hard except that nut on the yoke is big and you'll need leverage to remove it.
If the TCase has been rebuilt recently then it could be the bottom cover, the output assembly or any other cover.
Either way I would clean down the TCase good and then look for the fresh oil.

Thanx for the replies ,that is my next step ,cleaning it up to see exactly whats up.I am assuming it has not Been rebuilt(110,000) miles and am hoping it is the rear seal which seems very doable

Looked at it this weekend and found that the drain plug on the bottom of the case was barely srewed in like two threads, hoping this was the culprit. Checked the output seal and that looked fine,it was either the plug or from around the plate on the bottom

Looked at it this weekend and found that the drain plug on the bottom of the case was barely srewed in like two threads, hoping this was the culprit. Checked the output seal and that looked fine,it was either the plug or from around the plate on the bottom

It's often the "Loose Nut" that get's you.:eek:

Man that was easy:chug: , wish my luck was that good.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom