Lock Outs?

Chmelarj

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1946 CJ2A, 1978 CJ5
http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/1/4/4/5/p6200944.jpg

This one has me stumped. This is a photo of my current lock out situation, or lack there of. I've got a 78 CJ5 that to my knowledge has never had the axles modified.

I know the entire life history of this Jeep and know it was sold as a plow truck and continued as such through the years until about 7 years ago when it was left to rot.

I've started experiencing the following:

1. Steering wheel feels like it snags a little on left turns.
2. Slight vibration in 3rd gear acceleration.

Is this all associated to the non-lock outs?

Put lock outs on ASAP?

4 x 4 high and low works, and spins the rear tires when I drop the clutch in 2.

Thank you in advance!

Those are called drive flanges and they are stock as way back when, the lock outs were optional. My 75 CJ6 came with a set that looks just like those. The good is they are strong and you don't have to get out to lock up. The bad is they back spin the front drive system while in 2WD. So just for the lack of resistance and wear and tear on the front, I'd swap in a set of 6 bolt lock outs. I did on my CJ6 and it was quick and no problems. Now your steering can feel funny from a number od different things, but IF you suspect the front axle, look into the U-joints as they still have to pivot when you turn. Turn the wheel, jack up the tire and spin it by hand to test it. A bound one will only allow about half a spin.

Those are called drive flanges and they are stock as way back when, the lock outs were optional. My 75 CJ6 came with a set that looks just like those. The good is they are strong and you don't have to get out to lock up. The bad is they back spin the front drive system while in 2WD. So just for the lack of resistance and wear and tear on the front, I'd swap in a set of 6 bolt lock outs. I did on my CJ6 and it was quick and no problems. Now your steering can feel funny from a number od different things, but IF you suspect the front axle, look into the U-joints as they still have to pivot when you turn. Turn the wheel, jack up the tire and spin it by hand to test it. A bound one will only allow about half a spin.

I appreciate the help! I think it's time for some lock outs.

If you go used you can use Jeep or Scout. or go buy a set of Warn hubs.

For what its worth, these were the OEM type used back then. They were made by Warn for Jeep and share the same internal parts as the 5 bolt version that came later. I use stud kits and locktight on the threads. These are cheap to find and I would rather blow an aluminum hub that I can get to and replace than the gears or shafts. Its like a fuse to me. but so far, so good.

truck011Small.jpg

Thanks for all the help! Warn 9062 lockouts went on last night with new axle joints to match.

What a difference!

Warn makes a 6 bolt hub that is better.

Chmelarj
what are you going do with those drive flanges?
they are 6 bolt right, I may want them

I could see this question coming a mile away :D
Chmelarj

Chmelarj

You were the third person to ask for those as of this morning. I passed them on to a guy that hooks me up with older Jeep parts from time to time. Had I known sooner I would have happily sent them out to you.

You were the third person to ask for those as of this morning. I passed them on to a guy that hooks me up with older Jeep parts from time to time. Had I known sooner I would have happily sent them out to you.
Darn I need a set for the CJ5 , I run a full floating axle in the rear and need a set so I can take off the Warn disco hub and set on the drive flanges before rock crawling, Discos are a weak link on the rocks.

Darn I need a set for the CJ5 , I run a full floating axle in the rear and need a set so I can take off the Warn disco hub and set on the drive flanges before rock crawling, Discos are a weak link on the rocks.

Still want those flanges?

The guy that laid claim to them hasn't bothered to call me back and they're still sitting here. You want them, they're yours.

Still want those flanges?

The guy that laid claim to them hasn't bothered to call me back and they're still sitting here. You want them, they're yours.
PM me your number

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom