Duhwhat

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 2.5L 4 cylinder
T-4, Dana 300, AMC 20 rear end
This is a 2.5l four banger.

1. I am not sure if I have the rear seal in correctly since I wasn't paying attention to it when I removed the oil pan. The seal is grooved and the the only way I thought it would stay in place was to straddle the outer edge of the crankshaft housing. It looks like a tight seal and if it was behind the housing everything is smooth and I don't know how you would know if it was in right place.

torx010.png

2. Do you have to bring the 1st cylinder to TDC before putting the oil pump on? I read that on some other vehicle and it made me wonder. The installation guide says nothing about it. The engine was tested before it left the factory and the oil pump was sent with it. I am sure the crank was rotated when we put the flywheel on and found we had the wrong clutch. (lol)

3. I used the old oil pickup stem simply because I had not ordered one and didn't want delay things another 5 days to get another one. Does anyone see this as a bad move?

1) As to the oil seal you have it correct, a pic worth 1000 words. Image straight from the manual attached......

2) As to the oil pump. The slot needs to be at the 11 o'clock position, as the cam is held in place, the distributor will "spin" as it is seated. If you can't get the pump drive slot to line up.... pull the distributor and rotate it counter clockwise 30 degrees or 1 drive gear and re seat it...... all I can say is it gets easier with time.

Good luck mate.

Attachments

• 809d8cc3.gif
    809d8cc3.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 227

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom