Looking for Hardened Axles

Oldguyinajeep

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ-7 258ci 4spd Dana 30 and 44
Howell TBI Fuel inj, Headers, Dual batteries, Warn winch/air compressor, rear
disc brake conversion, Detroit locker (rear), Eaton E-locker (front), 4:10 gears, 2.5 in Rancho lift, 1" body lift, fully armored, 35" BFG KM2s, Warn front hub conversions, line locks front and rear, roll cage, warn front bumper, rock hard rear bumper/tire carrier, DUI ignition, dual electric fans, LED rock lights
I have a late '86 CJ7 with a Dana 44 rear axle. I've learned that axle breakage is one of the most common off road failures (especially in big rocks), and I want to upgrade to hardened axles. Finding them for the front is no problem, but I can't seem to locate any for the rear.

I e-mailed AlloyUSA and they simply said, "we don't make that axle". I've e-mailed G2 and Moser, and am awaiting their reply.

Does anyone know of a company who makes axles for this jeep? I imagine that there were either too few of these models to make it worthwhile to make aftermarket axles (likely), or, maybe they're well-made enough that they rarely break (not likely).

Are there any other applications which will work? Would appreciate any info.

Ron

Without doing a search, Im just going to mention this...I'll do the research later.

There is (or used to be) a company out in Washington state that you could send your axle shafts to and they would cryogenically freeze them. This is supposed to make them even stronger then alloy shafts.

There used to be talk on Pirate about this procedure, haven't seen it recently.

As I said, I will have to research that and add to this later.

Without doing a search, Im just going to mention this...I'll do the research later.

There is (or used to be) a company out in Washington state that you could send your axle shafts to and they would cryogenically freeze them. This is supposed to make them even stronger then alloy shafts.

There used to be talk on Pirate about this procedure, haven't seen it recently.

As I said, I will have to research that and add to this later.

Jim, are you thinking of Bobby Longfield ? Bobby does the freeze service on a number of different parts. Though the web sire only mentions R/P.

HEAT TREAT & CRYO RING & PINION - Longfield Super Axles

OGinaJeep, Superior is a good bet. They have axles for almost anything. American made with a lifetime warranty.
Superior Axle & Gear

Moser can also make up and axle you want.

Lot`s of stuff out there.

Strange Engineering is another good bet.

Jim, are you thinking of Bobby Longfield ? Bobby does the freeze service on a number of different parts. Though the web sire only mentions R/P.

HEAT TREAT & CRYO RING & PINION - Longfield Super Axles

OGinaJeep, Superior is a good bet. They have axles for almost anything. American made with a lifetime warranty.
Superior Axle & Gear

Moser can also make up and axle you want.

Lot`s of stuff out there.

Strange Engineering is another good bet.

Yeah, I think that was it John...I thought they were doing shafts also, but it's been so long since I've heard mention of it, I couldnt remember. :confused:

I have a late '86 CJ7 with a Dana 44 rear axle. I've learned that axle breakage is one of the most common off road failures
Ron
Yes, the CJ crowd often complains about axle breakage. That's because most of us have AMC20 axles that have (or had) a factory 2 piece axle design. You have a Dana 44 . They have a one piece axle from the factory. I wouldn't worry about breaking an axle shaft.
Your profile says you have 33 inch tires. Now if you had 38 inch rubber I might be singing a different tune but I say stick with what you have.

There is a reason AlloyUSA and other companies don't make aftermarket axle shafts for the Dana 44 . No market.

Yes, the CJ crowd often complains about axle breakage. That's because most of us have AMC20 axles that have (or had) a factory 2 piece axle design. You have a Dana 44 . They have a one piece axle from the factory. I wouldn't worry about breaking an axle shaft.
Your profile says you have 33 inch tires. Now if you had 38 inch rubber I might be singing a different tune but I say stick with what you have.

There is a reason AlloyUSA and other companies don't make aftermarket axle shafts for the Dana 44 . No market.

Yeah, true. If guys are breaking rear 44 shafts, they are usually on their way to upgrading to 60's/14b's etc.

Right on the money. Bigger tires are the reason for my question. Have gone over some pretty tough CO trails with the 33s, but have been eyeballing 35s, hence the concern about breaking. Are you saying that you wouldn't be concerned about upgrading axles just going to 35s? Also, are the stock axles on the front Dana 30 strong enough to hold up to some hard use with 35s?

You guys have been a huge help. I did locate some axles through Superior, but now I'm second-guessing if they're even necessary.

I'd be more worried about the 30.
Moser will make any axle you want.

Also, are the stock axles on the front Dana 30 strong enough to hold up to some hard use with 35s?

I'd say yes and no. The axles are strong enough, but the U-joints aren't. Aftermarket axles will use the larger 297x u-joint like a Dana 44 . It isn't physically larger, it just has bigger caps which will handle more load. I've broken a factory 260 U-joint in my Jeep with 31" tires and a mild V8.

I spoke with Moser, and they can, indeed, build the axles, in a mere 2 days! Less expensive than the Superiors, too.

Nice tip on the Dana 30 u-joints. The plan now is to get the Moser rear axles, and some G2 or AlloyUSA fronts. I honestly don't tear the :dung: out of things, but we're usually alone on the trails when we're in Colorado, and lots of times we don't see another vehicle for long periods. Rather be stronger than necessary.

This is great info, and I certainly appreciate the responses.

spend the couple extra $ and get the fronts from moser too, your be glad you did in the end.

Well, I was all set to go Moser, but when I called them, they wanted me to take out the axle, call them back, and take measurements for them. First, that seemed a little weird to me. Seems like those dimensions should be well documented and easily available to an axle builder. Second, I didn't trust the long-distance measurement aspect.

So, I went with Superior axles for the rear. They are the only company I could find that had the axles listed, and they were helpful and confident when I spoke with them on the phone. Their kit comes with axles, bearings, retainer, and studs.

So now I have axles that are harder than Chinese arithmetic. Wonder what will break instead.........

Thanks again to all who replied.

Did you get the fronts from them (superior) also?
Please don't go with G2 or alloy usa.

While I am running Moser. I truly believe Superior makes a better product for off road use. You made a good choice.

With your PT Limited slip. A set of Dana 30 axles with the larger 760x (760 is the replacement for the 297x) would be a great addition. Here again consider the Superior.

5-760X - The New Spicer U-joint - 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

Most front axle (Dana 30 /44) failures are at the ears of the u joint, the weakest part. Over time the u joint tends to wallow out the yokes until they eventually break. The aftermarket shafts will also offer full circle snap rings. Which help to "stabilize" the joint

The other sceanerio is simple overloading and the ears snap. Very rarely do you find an outright u joint failure or shaft failure.

One consideration is a HP30 axle. The HP30 will be stronger then the LP I believe you have now.
Dana 44 Solid Front Axle: Part 1 Reverse Spiral Housing

The Driver Side Differential Dana 44

A set of good lockout hubs would be a good idea. Warn is hard to beat.

While a little off subject. This might be of interest.
Dana 30 vs 44 New angle............. - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

The fronts are superior as well. Read about the forged 5-760x somewhere. Might have been the cited article. Sound like they're mucho tough. Thanks for the other references. I'll check them out.

I have a 86 CJ7 too with the Factory Dana 44 rear running 33"s and I just had a Scout Dana 44 front cut down to make a great front end. Love it!
Bigger ring gear,bigger axle shafts bigger U joints. Hard to beat.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom