Misc. Looking for Pics of Stock Front and Rear Suspension 1980 CJ7

Misc. Looking for Pics of Stock Front and Rear Suspension 1980 CJ7

PJD

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 258, Manual, Dana20
Just purchased a 1980 CJ7 that was lifted I am told
The previous owner stated they removed lift but I believe not all the parts are back to stock
Does anyone have stock suspension pics

Also Should sway bar rotate in mounts when picked up by frame my linkage is hitting tie rods when picked up

front_suspension.jpg

A common problem when the sway bar hits the tie rod is if you have some amount of lift (spring, shackle, etc) and still have the stock length sway bar connects. Longer sway bar connects are needed when adding over a certain amount of suspension lift (2" or more). You can tell if there's any lift by some easy measurements.

Stock CJ height from ground to rocker panel is 18". Stock tire size was 29". If running larger tires than stock, measure from ground to rocker and subtract that 18" amount plus half the difference your tire size is over stock. i.e. running 33" tires means you are 4" over the stock 29" size. So measure the distance from the ground to the rocker, subtract the initial 18" and then subtract 2" more for the oversize tires. The remainder is the overall combined lift from suspension, shackles, body (or whatever combination you have).

I am running a 4" suspension lift with 35" tires. I'm sitting at 25" total distance from the ground to the bottom of the rockers. So the math is 25" total height, minus the 18 stock height it started at, minus 3" for tires (my tires are 6" over stock height), leaving 4" of lift. Since I know I have no body lift and stock length shackles (3" bolt to bolt), I know I have 4" lifted springs.

TSB8C
Thank you for information.
I believe there are lifted suspension parts still on her.
We will put in new drag link tie rod and ends and put tires back on and take some measurements tomorrow
A new straight pitman arm should be here tomorrow the existing has about a 3" drop.

I believe from my Chiltons book that the springs are not stock
The front has 5 leaf's not seven and the rear also has 5 leaf's not 4 as in pics in manual
Also stock shocks from Napa are two Short

Shocks too short and a drop pitman arm are certainly quite suspicious.

We had to drop the front spring shackles to get the Tie Rod and drag links out.
When we get the new ones in tomorrow we will start measuring
the shackle bolt gauge is 3" c-c where can I find info on correct spring data for stock? she does have a 2" body lift which we will subtract out for tomorrow once we get her back on her wheels
Thanx

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks